none
it's not dividing task quantity into task duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Firstofall i am entering a task, a resource and a work(material) into ms project 2010.

Forexample: Anchorage Assemblying--> 10 days, 10 workers and 100 anchorages.

This means 10 anchorages per day. When i reduce worker quantity to 5, its increasing task duration to 20 days.No problem for now. But when i look at Task Usage section, its still 10 anchorages per day. i guess it should be 5 anchorages per day. 

I couldn't find what i am doing wrong.i would appreciate if you can help about this problem.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:09 PM

Answers

• caneryaln --

If you use the Variable Consumption Rate and enter 10/d in the Units column for the Material resource, that consumption rate will be used to calculate the consumption of the resource based on the Duration of the task.  Microsoft Project 2010 WILL NOT change the consumption rate to 5/d the way you would hope it would.  In your situation, I think you should use a Fixed Consumption Rate and simply enter the number of Anchorages you expect to create on the task so that the number does not change if you change the Duration.  In essence, you cannot have it both ways.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:07 PM

All replies

• caneryaln --

When you assign a Material resource to a task, you can use one of two methods.  If you use the Fixed Consumption Rate method, you simply enter the number of of items you want to use on the task.  In your case, you enter the number 100 for the Anchorage resource.  If you use this method, the number used will not change for the Material resource.

The other method is the Variable Consumption Rate.  Using this method, you would enter the number of items used per day for the Material resource.  In your case, you would enter 10/d for the Anchorages resource.  When you use the Variable Consumption Rate method, the number used for the Material resource is calculated, based on the Duration of the task.  That means if the Duration is increased to 20 days, the number of Anchorages used would increase proportionately.

Based on your example, I would recommend that you use the Fixed Consumption Rate method for the Anchorages resource.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Surely it should be Variable rate so that the usage of Anchorages goes down to 5 per day and still remains at a total of 100.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for the quick responds,

Mr.Dale Howard , i tried to enter like you said (10/d).But the quantity still not changing on task usage section. Are there any other option to determine Fixed Consumption/Variable Consumption ?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:45 PM
  • caneryaln --

If you use the Variable Consumption Rate and enter 10/d in the Units column for the Material resource, that consumption rate will be used to calculate the consumption of the resource based on the Duration of the task.  Microsoft Project 2010 WILL NOT change the consumption rate to 5/d the way you would hope it would.  In your situation, I think you should use a Fixed Consumption Rate and simply enter the number of Anchorages you expect to create on the task so that the number does not change if you change the Duration.  In essence, you cannot have it both ways.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Mike --

What you are expecting is not how the software works.  The consumption rate will not drop to 5/d the way you hope.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:08 PM