none
Wallpaper Policy Issue

Question

• Hi,

We have applied a policy on the OU to apply a wallpaper from network location like \\Servername\wallpaper.jpg using the User based policy Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop\Desktop wallpaper. It is working fine however we have filtered out a group of users from this policy by changing ACL of policy to deny read and apply GPO for this group

After rebooting the PC the wallpaper becomes blank but after sometime if the user reboots his PC then it again shows the wallpaper.

We have created another policy and in filtering i have allowed only this group to apply GPO and configured policy Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop\Desktop wallpaper to disable but still no help.

I have checked the path "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes" and found a different image file as Transcodedwallpaper.jpg.

I am not able to understand from where the wallpaper is getting applied. I have thoroughly checked but there is no other wallper policy.

In RSOP.MSC the policy with wallpaper disabled is showing as applied

• Edited by Sukhwin08 Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:25 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    >> I have checked the Patch MS16-072 is not applied on those PC's.
    Please also check if it is installed on DC or not.
    >> Also while searching I have came across a registry key which keeps the history of wallpapers. Will removing that key will help.
    For me, I will clear the key’s value firstly to try it. If it is not working, I would delete the whole key and test again.
    However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore for added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is what I did for our wallpaper:

1. Create computer configuration policy.

2. Preferences\Windows Settings\Files\BackgroundDefault.jpg: Update action and source of your network location and destination of %Windir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgroundDefault.jpg

3. Preferences\Windows Settings\Folders\backgrounds: Create action and path of %WindowsDir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds

4. Preferences\Windows Settings\Registry\OEMBackground: Update action and registry entry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background\OEMBackground REG_DWORD 0x1.

5. Link the above GPO to your workstations OU.

Also, the image has to be less than or equal to 256kB in size.

Hope that helps,

Vlad

Ebor

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Am 14.07.2016 um 09:23 schrieb Sukhwin08:
    > we have filtered out a group of users from this policy by changing
    > ACL of policy to deny read and apply GPO for this group

Welcome to MS16-072

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I have checked the Patch MS16-072 is not applied on those PC's. Secondly I have observed that once the disable policy is applied on PC a random wallpaper is applied on those. You can change the wallpaper and after changing the wallpaper remains like that.

I am not able to understand how this random wallpaper is selected and can we force the PC to show no wallpaper instead of random wallpaper so that users can select their own wallpapers  

Also while searching I have came across a registry key which keeps the history of wallpapers. Will removing that key will help.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\Wallpapers\Images

• Edited by Sukhwin08 Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:34 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hi,
    >> I have checked the Patch MS16-072 is not applied on those PC's.
    Please also check if it is installed on DC or not.
    >> Also while searching I have came across a registry key which keeps the history of wallpapers. Will removing that key will help.
    For me, I will clear the key’s value firstly to try it. If it is not working, I would delete the whole key and test again.
    However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore for added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:15 AM