People picker as a Drop-down(lookup in another list)? RRS feed

• Question

• I added a "Team Member" field to a custom list where the possible values reside
    in a SharePoint group,

Project manager assign a different team members in people picker. After that when PM upload item to Document library then new task for Project Lead will created, and in the task list i want to see all people that selected by PM as a drop down list.

is that possile if yes how.... plz help me out!!

thanks

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:32 AM There is no reason AT ALL for your entire message text to be in Bold. Removed
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:32 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Shubham,

In that case you can create a custom new form for the  "Project wise Task" list & on selection of the project ID, you can auto populate the team members details from the "Project" list. You will be creating custom .NET control for this.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Microsoft Community Contributor | MCP
    My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:28 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Shubham,

Instead of creating a custom list to store the team members details, create a new USer group from "People and Groups" Section and aadd the users to it. No need to give any permissions to the group.

While creating the people picker column, in the Choose From section instead of All Users, select "SharePoint Group" and from dropdown select the group you have created.

Now this people picker will accept only the users from that group you have created and added the members.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    My Blog
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Thanks chanakya for ur kind rpl

i have already this in my mind but problem is that in one organization hundred's of project are running at same time so according to u i have to create hundred's of group also....

that's y i m not going with this approach....

I will just explain the scenario to you. you just give me advice what to do. 

I have created two custom lists.

1. Project List

2. Project Wise Task

Project manager upload new project in Project list with the fields project name, project group(.net or java etc), Project Lead(TL, People picker field), team member's(multipeople  picker).

Announcement workflow is running behind this and project lead will informed through announcement.

after that project lead add new item in project wise task manually. Project List ID as a look up in Project wise task list. now the main thing is that when project lead select ID(Project List) from drop down list then associated team member(of project list) will be bind in new drop down list.

How to resolve this... plz help me out.

thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:56 AM
  • somebody help me!!!!!!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Shubham,

In that case you can create a custom new form for the  "Project wise Task" list & on selection of the project ID, you can auto populate the team members details from the "Project" list. You will be creating custom .NET control for this.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:28 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:44 AM
  • hello

can you please elaborate it....or any link for further steps...

i m new with sharepoint.....so plz provide the steps for that..... its really appreciable

thanks

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:29 AM