none
Remove Task option is disable on the Time sheet page-Project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Remove Task from Time sheet page but Remove Task option is disable on the Time sheet page.

Any Work around to this .

Regards

Surendra

Surendra Singh, MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:47 AM

Answers

• Spiro --

Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague, Gary, but Rules are for auto approval of task updates.  There is no option for auto rejection of certain types of updates.  This is actually a sad omission, in my opinion, as it would be nice to be able to auto reject Delete Assignment Requests.  In all of my Project Server training classes, I have always taught my project manager students to pay close attention to the types of task updates they see in the Approval Center page.  And I have taught them to reject Delete Assignment Requests immediately, and then to follow up with the team member to find out why they deleted the task, and to forbid them for doing this again in the future.

Not sure about the Event Handler idea.  But that might be one way to do the auto rejection, if that is even possible through an Event Handler.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:44 PM

All replies

• Surendra --

There has never been any way for the Project Server administrator to disable the Remove Task option on either the Timesheet page or the Tasks page in PWA, not in Project Server 2013 or in any previous version.  I have actually made several formal requests to Microsoft to give us a permission setting that would allow us to disable this feature, but my request has not been granted.  Therefore, you will simply need to make this a training and performance issue with your team members.  Tell them not to use the Remove Task option.  Train your PMs to look for Delete Assignment Request jobs in the Approval Center page, and tell them to reject those requests.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:56 AM
  • In addition to what Dale mentioned, i think you are observing that "Remove Task" button is greyed out on the ribbon i.e. not enabled when you select a task for removal, correct me if i am wrong

Remove task button remains disabled, if there are actuals logged on the task, try selecting a task having no actuals and let us know the results 

Thanks | epmXperts | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Do you think it would be possible, technically speaking, to add an event handler (or even design a workflow) to trap and reject those 'remove task' requests before they get to the status manager's approval page?

We are using Project Online.  If not with Project Online, would On-premise allow or provide such an opportunity for a workaround? 

Thoughts?

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Spiro:

Have each PM create a rule to reject those for all users all of the time. This is what rules were made for. :)

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:09 PM
  • Gary That is exactly what I proposed to my client. Yet, they are bent on asking the question, "what if anything can be done to automate the rejection". As such, I asked if an event handler could help do the trick. Note we are on the cloud.
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:38 PM
  • Correct. I with actuals the remove task is greyed out.

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Spiro --

Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague, Gary, but Rules are for auto approval of task updates.  There is no option for auto rejection of certain types of updates.  This is actually a sad omission, in my opinion, as it would be nice to be able to auto reject Delete Assignment Requests.  In all of my Project Server training classes, I have always taught my project manager students to pay close attention to the types of task updates they see in the Approval Center page.  And I have taught them to reject Delete Assignment Requests immediately, and then to follow up with the team member to find out why they deleted the task, and to forbid them for doing this again in the future.

Not sure about the Event Handler idea.  But that might be one way to do the auto rejection, if that is even possible through an Event Handler.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:44 PM
  • Ouufff... Yes certainly a sad omission. Thanks for highlighting that.
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:47 PM