Windows Virtual PC 2007: Win98 running on Win7 Home...password to access network printer in Win 10 Home? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure how actively anyone is tracking user needs here, but figured I had nothing to lose by asking for help...unable to find an understandable answer here so far.

I had been happily running Virtual PC 2007 on a Win 7 Home system, printing on a network physically connected via usb cable to a Win XP system.  I have now replaced the XP tower with a Windows 10 tower, with that printer attached to that tower, and functioning normally.

When I run Virtual PC 2007 on the Win 7 system, it "sees" the Win 10 system, but on trying to install the printer, it is asking for a password to the Win 10 system.

I am guessing that it would require a ton of tweaks to get around this, and although I am not a full blown novice, I never like fiddling with too many settings that might screw up everything else that is working.

So, long story short, is there in fact a reasonably simple way to work around this, or should I just give up to progress and new operating systems?

Thanks to anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction.

• Edited by petergoode Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:17 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:16 PM

All replies

• PG

Unsure what you are looking for.  Have you  tried using the credentials of a user on the win 10 machine?  Something like //win 10 machine name/user you>password  It would be the same user name and password that you use to log into the win 10 machine with BUT it cant be simply You>password it has to be machine specific even if your user name and password is exactly the same on both machines. 

Networking (and security) is vastly different on win 10 than either win XP or Win 7.

We need more information about your setup to be more specific.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:25 PM
  • First of all, many thanks of course for taking a look at my question!

When running install printer on the Win98 VM, after entering the printer name (\\2016Windows10\canoni96), the "enter password" prompt shows up.

I tried entering the password I have for the Win 10 tower, but that did not work.

There is a limit to the number of characters one can enter for a password...too many characters to allow entering "name>password".

I imagine there is probably something one needs to change on the Win 10 PC to allow access...but local policy editor (yes, I have tried to research this) is seemingly not an option.

Is there, in fact, some other sort of password on the Win10 system that I do not know?

Please let me know if there is some additional information which might help here.

Much appreciated!

Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Happy to help (its why I volunteer here)

Can we assume canoni96 is the user name and password it its password?  (sorry for the stupid questions)

What malware app/firewall are you using?

Does the win 10 machine "see" the printer?

I am a bit vague on this setup Win 7 Home system, printing on a network physically connected via usb cable to a Win XP .  Where exactly is the printer hard wired to?  The win 10 machine?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:59 PM
  • Sorry, I guess I was not being as clear as needed.

Windows 10 machine: Canon i960 connected via usb cable, printer is shared on the network, works from that tower

Windows 7 machine:  VM 2007 running Win 98.  When I run VM 2007, it sees all the PC's in my network, sees the files on my Win 7 machine, but if I try to install the Canon printer, it indicates the Win 7 machine is inaccessible, and when I try to install the printer from the networked Win 10 machine, Win 98 in the VM 2007 is asking for the network password...and I have no idea what the network password is, or how to find it, I do not recall having set one up.

I USED to have the Canon printer connected to an XP tower, that is the one I replaced with the Win 10 tower.

Maybe there is simply no way to get these two OS's to play together for this purpose.

• Edited by petergoode Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:05 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:05 PM
  • How have you shared the printer?  I believe with 7 and higher, you'll need to give "everyone" access to the printer share.  You may also need to turn off password protected sharing.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Thanks for joining in...

Yes, I tried turning off password protected sharing, no access.

I did find a link to a small program which allegedly identifies network passwords...when I get a chance, I will give it a try...seems to be well vetted, doubt it's malware:

Network Password Recovery 1.40

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:30 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the try? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:28 AM
  • I ran network password recovery on the Win 10 tower...and it listed the password I use to sign in (with my Microsoft account)...but that password was rejected by the Add Printer wizard in Win98.

I think I may just give up on the project...I had a large number of cd covers I had created with EZ Creator, an old Roxio product that, once they changed their software for XP and beyond, had no backward compatibility with the .cl3 files it created.

Life is short, isn't it, this is not worth losing too much sleep over...but I sure do appreciate the offers of help.

Sunday, March 6, 2016 9:21 PM
  • I ran network password recovery on the Win 10 tower...and it listed the password I use to sign in (with my Microsoft account)...but that password was rejected by the Add Printer wizard in Win98.

I think I may just give up on the project...I had a large number of cd covers I had created with EZ Creator, an old Roxio product that, once they changed their software for XP and beyond, had no backward compatibility with the .cl3 files it created.

Life is short, isn't it, this is not worth losing too much sleep over...but I sure do appreciate the offers of help.

You'll need to sign in with a LOCAL account with a local luser account (thanks microsoft for calling users losers lol), run lusrmgr.msc or the users control panel, ON THE WINDOWS 10 MACHINE. Share the printer with that account.
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:33 PM
  • What a wonderful surprise to see there may, actually, be a cure here...thanks for taking time to answer.

I hate to admit my denseness, but can you possibly be as explicit as possible as to how to do this...I understand about running lusrmgr.msc on the Win 10 tower...does that bring up an option showing my devices and option to designate sharing?  And when you indicate "share the printer with that account", what does that mean exactly, share with what account?

I will try to experiment between now and any further clarification you might provide.

In the meantime, thanks again for trying to help with this.

pg

P.S.  Unless I am mistaken, Win 10 Home does not offer lusrmgr.msc.

Oh well...

• Edited by petergoode Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:41 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:22 PM