windows mobile device support RRS feed

• Question

• Does Forefront cover Windows Mobile Devices?  If not will it at some point?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:00 PM

Answers

• It doesn't at the moment for sure, not sure if there are plans for the future...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Chris is correct - FCS v1 does not support mobile clients

We are investigating support for FCS v2, but we would like to hear from IT admins out -- what % of your devices that need protection are mobile?  And what are you currently using for mobile device protection today?

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:23 PM

All replies

• It doesn't at the moment for sure, not sure if there are plans for the future...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Chris is correct - FCS v1 does not support mobile clients

We are investigating support for FCS v2, but we would like to hear from IT admins out -- what % of your devices that need protection are mobile?  And what are you currently using for mobile device protection today?

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Thanks for the answer guys. 

For my part, there is roughly about 5% of our devices that are windows mobile.  I think that having support for these devices from the "single solution" perspective, would make it easier to justify their use and we would be more inclined to make them available to more employees.  It would be great to have a single management console for these devices as well.   

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:13 PM
  • We would be as low as 2% on Mobile... Steve Riley did an interesting presentation at TechED last year on why windows mobile doesn't need AV/FW protection, and it made sense... Right now we don't use anything Smile
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:19 AM
  • We are a small organization, but I only support Window mobile devices so 100%.  We are not using any protection for those devices at the moment.   I would love protection for them. As I side note I would also love to protect data coming on and off of USB drives (perhaps a log of what is stored on what USB device, perhaps encryption of data managed at the network - user must first register the device with forefront, then forefront records activity of the device, encrypting with a pin or the like - Don't know the solution, but I know there is an issue that needs a solution).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Hi Chrisw_uk,

Do you know where/if I can access this presentation from Steve Riley?

I'd be interested to see what his reasoning is for this point of view.

Cheers,

S

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

It wasn't anything that was in a presentation itself, it was a discussion point as part of something he did, and it was explained during the talk, so unfortunately don't think there is anything in writing...

Chris

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:17 AM