none
External HDD locked by Bitlocker without my permission

Question

• I was using my work laptop at work and connected my personal USB external drive to the laptop. No problem. I used the external drive to show colleagues some pictures of my new house renovation and then disconnected the drive.

However, when I reconnected the drive to my own personal laptop at home, it informed me that it was locked by bitlocker and needed a recovery to unlock it!

At no time was I requested to bitlocker it or indeed informed that bitlocker was locking the drive. This totally sucks as I have precious family photos on the drive and now cannot access them!!

Can anyone help?

Karl Marsden

Monday, May 1, 2017 1:33 AM

Answers

• you can connect the disk back to your work computer and disable bit locker. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 1, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Karl, ask your administrator at work - he is the one who enforced encryption on all connected drives and he will have the encryption key you need for decrypting it.

(he might also inform you that it is not allowed to connect personal hardware to defend himself).

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:25 AM

All replies

• you can connect the disk back to your work computer and disable bit locker. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 1, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Arnav,

Sorry for delay. I am working nights. How do I do that exactly?

Karl

Monday, May 1, 2017 11:46 PM
  • Karl, ask your administrator at work - he is the one who enforced encryption on all connected drives and he will have the encryption key you need for decrypting it.

(he might also inform you that it is not allowed to connect personal hardware to defend himself).

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:25 AM