RDP Tile Processing Latency Parameter to Monitor Application Sharing traffic RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I would like to get to know about the specific parameter which is part of AppSharing Metrics in Skype for business Monitoring data.

If an Application sharing session is marking poor on based of Relative One way, RDP Tile Processing Latency, Total Spoiled Tile, and Jitter, Then what are all the possible scenarios which could cause these parameters spiked with higher values.

And also specifically RDP Tile Processing Latency is having higher values for an session, then what might be the cause for such higher values.

Awaiting for the valuable answers.

Thanks, Jeeva.

Monday, September 5, 2016 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeeva Anbu,

Welcome to post in our forum.

For the Application sharing metrics, Lync would capture the information such as caller and callee information, in the monitoring reporting, you could find metrics such as total number of application sharing session.

For more details, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615041.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Here is a similar case for your reference

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/c927294f-d4ed-49e4-8649-ea6735a551ce/lync-monitoring-network-parameters?forum=ocsmonitoring

Hope this helpful to you.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Hello Alice,

Thanks a lot for your response. I would like to know when can be the values of RDP Tile Process Latency goes higher and specifically anything specific to network needs to be checked.

Rest of parameters i can refer with the link provided by you.

Hope you got my question. If not please let me know.

Thanks, Jeeva.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hi Jeeva Anbu,

Thanks for your response.

Based on my research, Lync doesn't capture monitor network metrics like delay/jitter/packet lose for Application sharing and desktop sharing activity.

Acceptable value of the average RDP tile processing latency in the AS Conferencing Server over the duration of the viewing session. A high average reflects a longer delay in the viewing experience, and includes network latency. An overloaded conferencing server may experience higher average delays.

For more details, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615012.aspx

Hope this helpful to you.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, September 16, 2016 10:14 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Hi Alice,

Appreciate your response. 

Yes i do notice that normal network related parameters are not applicable for Application/Desktop sharing traffic.

But in my organisation we are managing such a huge environment and now audio quality is under our control unlike App/Desktop sharing quality. in that this RDP tile processing latency is the major factor causing these poor quality. 

But still we do good quality sessions too but not to expected level. So i would like to know what exactly the issue might be and if it is network end all UDP traffic flows with excellent quality but TCP traffic (desktop sharing) has this single factor causing poor quality. So i would like to know anything network specific factor have to check to make this RDP tile processing latency within acceptable value.

And also what this overloaded conferencing server may cause this, in this case we do have huge environment i don't think that our conferencing servers are overloaded. If yes, is there any threshold for connections handled by ASMCU in server to get overload.

Thanks,

Jeeva.

Thanks, Jeeva.

Friday, September 16, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Jeeva,

Did you determine anything on this?  I see similar poor metrics here, but my infrastructure is not overloaded.  I was wondering if you narrowed it down to anything in particular.

Monday, May 29, 2017 12:48 AM
  • Jeeva,

Did you get to the root cause for this as my organisation is also experiencing this problem with the RDP Tile processing being the biggest factor according to the media quality reports. It would be useful to see what network parameters affect this issue as I do not believe that the AS server is overloaded but rather we have a latency issue which is affecting application sharing as audio quality on the same calls seems not to be affected?

Regards

Marc

Friday, June 16, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Our organization is also experiencing this issue on some skype meetings.   The problem started for us about a month and half ago.  We thought we had it traced down to a particular versions of office 365 2016 and mixture of 2015.  However now we are not sure.  We have been using Skype for Business for while now and just running into this issue.

Avg. RDP tile processing latency: 2007.92687988281 ms 
    RDP tile processing latency burst density: 787.400024414063 ms 

when VBSS is being used some calls are getting 

Video Stream (Callee -> Caller) 

Codec: H264     
    Inbound frame rate 14.9591 
    Outbound frame rate 14.9601 

Friday, June 30, 2017 3:54 PM
  • The very high  RDP tile processing latency is due to VbSS (Video based screen sharing). In my experience, it has triggered few other sharing issues (client crash, black screen while sharing 2nd / 3rd monitor etc - even after latest patches). It also triggered quality experience issues with screen sharing, even with QoS for desktop sharing traffic. 

You can switch VbSS based sharing to RDP based sharing. It will significantly reduce the AVG tile processing latency, and in my experience the RDP based performance has been better too as compared to VbSS (even though VbSS is recommended for better performance). 

For testing, you can create a new conferencing policy with AppSharingMode to RDP and test it with a small group of users. 

You can use global Set-CsMediaConfiguration cmdlet to turn-off Video based Screen Sharing. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt756736.aspx

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/06/skype-for-business-vbss-update/

Cheers,
    H.

Sunday, July 2, 2017 8:15 AM