Start menu/Search box works one single time after boot and sporadically on seemingly random occasions. Win+D shortcut doesn't work either. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This issue might be similar to what has already been reported but it feels different.

I've attempted all solutions in this previous topic: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7fb011ec-e986-4999-8cbf-21dba894432a/start-menu-button-and-search-not-working-in-windows-10-enterprise-technical-preview?forum=WinPreview2014General With the exception of rolling back to a previous build (which was working). I'm on 10061.

I did registry editing, creating a new user, the powershell command (stumbled upon this just before finding the above link and it fixed that problem; the start menu/search box/Win+D bug was happening before the Metro Apps crash).

A temporary fix exists which requires me to tskill explorer every time I want to use the start menu, the search box or show my deaktop. Not really practical. That will let me use them for a few times but once I click repeateadly on the search box (it is really slow), forget it. Not even the "show desktop" rectangle in the bottom right corner works (it doesn't in any other situation except the brief time were the other options are usable.

Every other single Windows Key keyboard shortcut works.

I hope enough information was provided but if anything else is needed, I'll do it.

You know, honestly I wish Microsoft would just either dump the Metro Windows UI or burn the Classic Windows UI because still keeping the Control Panel divided and with no way interact with the Metro Apps outside of their environment is just stupid (or I'm not seeing the bigger picture).

Thanks,

Luiz.

Monday, April 27, 2015 4:56 AM

All replies

• I have similar issues with build 10061, after I used System Restore. See also this topic: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d1295cc3-e7c2-40be-a832-c1c648c669c2/system-restore-and-searchstart-menu?forum=WinPreview2014Feedback

Things I have tried so far (but did not solve the problem for me):

- Install Windows Updates (Suggested by Sharath in this topic)
    - Powershell scripts (Suggested by Sharath in this topic)
    - Disabling NVIDIA graphics in Device Manager
    - Enabling group policy settings
    - Registry fix (http://www.arunze.in/2015/02/fix-windows-10-start-button.html)
    - The windows-feedback:?contextid=158 command gives a 'The app didn't start' error.
    - Start menu and Search still don't work in contrast mode (Shift+Alt+PrScn)
    - Installing nVidia 347.88 drivers.

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:01 AM
  • This is completely bizarre. Doing Win+X > Desktop doesn't work, so I guess either all (Win+D/Show desktop rectangle/Winx+X > Desktop/Taskbar right click > Show desktop) are all the same thing.

Right after opening the topic, the Modern apps stopped working. Again.

So I ran the powershell script, rebooted and it wasn't fixed but the search box seems to be slightly more stable now. Most likely nothing but my perception being warped since it still breaks randomly.

Right now I'm updating my graphic drivers, let's see if something changes (nothing will).

Monday, April 27, 2015 1:51 PM