Readonly Permissions for a Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

I am running a Exchange 2010 Lab environment. I wanted to provide Readonly access to a user on a Generic Mailbox. I tried below command for providing Readonly access but it did not work.

In went through forums and found that we can do it from Out look Folder properties. But I have arround 100 users who needs Readonly access to the Generic Mailbox.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Tony Smith" -User "Ayla Kol" -AccessRights ReadPermission
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Matrina,

Thanks for your reply.

I assume For atleast it should work with Outlook

You need to set permissions on "Top of Information Store" for the uses to be able to view the folders in Outlook that has been shared out.

Example: Add-MailboxFolderPermission SharedMailbox -User DLUniversalSecurityGroup -AccessRights reviewer

...and to share for example the inbox folder, this is the command to use:
    Add-MailboxFolderPermission SharedMailbox:\Inbox -User DLUniversalSecurityGroup -AccessRights reviewer

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Sirki01 Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:05 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:30 AM

All replies

• The command given by you above should work as per your expectations. What is the issue you are facing with this command?

You can create a group and add 100 users to group and give permission to the group. This is simple in mamaging permissions.

add-mailboxpermission -identity <group-name> -user <any-one> -accessrights ReadPermission -automapping $true

- Sarvesh Goel - Enterprise Messaging Administrator (Exchange 2010)

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:20 AM
  • Hi

You can also perhaps use a PowerShell script that imports a .csv file and grant the permissions for the 100 users.

# Add-MailboxPermission -identity example
    Import-CSV c:\mbox.csv | Foreach-Object -process {
    $Id = $_.Identity
    Import-CSV c:\secretary.csv | foreach-object -process {
    $Secretary = $_.Name
    Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "$Id" -user "$Secretary" -AccessRights ReadPermission

}

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/exchange2010/powershell_add_mailboxpermission.htm

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:49 AM
  • No issue with the command it runs successfully but, My requirement is to view the mails in the Generic Mail box.

After executing the command I have added the generic mailbox to my Outlook as an additional mail box. But when I expand to see the in box it throws an error "Can not Expand the Folder."

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Try relogin to your system to gain access to shared folder.

Also, try accessing the mailbox in Outlook WebApp

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:56 AM
  • You can create a group and add 100 users to group and give permission to the group. This is simple in mamaging permissions.

add-mailboxpermission -identity <group-name> -user <any-one> -accessrights ReadPermission -automapping $true

@Sarvesh  - FYI
    Automapping will only work when fullmailbox access is given to a USER/Mailbox. Not designed to work with permissions given to a group.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:56 AM
  • thanks martina!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for your support,

• I have relogged to the machine and tried to access the Additional mailbox
    • When I tried using Outlook webapp it says "Your Mail box is unavailable. Try to access again in 10 Seconds...."
    • I have restarted the MSExchange File Distribution service and verified.
    • But when I checked the EMC-->Generic Mailbox properties it shows Last Logged on by is my Account
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:18 AM
    • When I tried using Outlook webapp it says "Your Mail box is unavailable. Try to access again in 10 Seconds...."

To be able to work with a Shared Mailbox in OWA, fullmailboxaccess is needed.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Hi Matrina,

Thanks for your reply.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hi Matrina,

Thanks for your reply.

You need to set permissions on "Top of Information Store" for the uses to be able to view the folders in Outlook that has been shared out.

Example: Add-MailboxFolderPermission SharedMailbox -User DLUniversalSecurityGroup -AccessRights reviewer

...and to share for example the inbox folder, this is the command to use:
    Add-MailboxFolderPermission SharedMailbox:\Inbox -User DLUniversalSecurityGroup -AccessRights reviewer

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Sirki01 Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:05 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:30 AM
  • HI Matrina,

Thanks for the time taken for resolving my issue. Now I am able to access the Mailbox.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:05 AM
  • HI Matrina,

Thanks for the time taken for resolving my issue. Now I am able to access the Mailbox.

Thank You, Happy to Assist!

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:07 AM