none
2010 workflow template in Sharepoint 2013 Approval process is not ending after last approver completes the task

Question

• i have created a 2010 approval process workflow in Sharepoint 2013 onpremise site and below is the screen shot of it.

When i assign the approver name the approval process ends after the last approver completes his task.

but when i tried to pull the data from other list based on a condition and assign as a approver it is keep on triggering without a end.

Pls assist.

Regards,

Revathy

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Revathy Raja,

I suggest you modifying and simplifying your workflow before “start approval process” as below:

In the “start approval workflow” action set as below:

When select users, double click “workflow lookup for a user” and set the data source as below:

If the issue exists, you can add “log to history action” to check the history if you can get the correct relevant values and share with us.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Revathy Raja Monday, April 10, 2017 5:02 AM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Revathy Raja,

I test in my environment and follow the same steps as you: save the document without select any streamwork option and it was set to “Distribution and Logistics” by default, it works well and finally the workflow completed.

Please create a new item, start the workflow and check if the issue exists.

Besides, Whether you enable “Require content approval for submitted items”?

If not, I suggest you Publishing this item to change to major version(1.0).

If yes, we need to Approved the item when we want the version change to major version. So I suggest you adding an action ”set content approval status” as below, it maybe tasks some time to complete:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Revathy Raja Monday, April 10, 2017 5:03 AM
    Monday, April 03, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Revathy Raja,

From the workflow steps you provided, please share the screenshot of the current list columns and Approvers List columns.

And please share the screenshot with condition you used in “set Variable: Approvers Name to Approvers List: Approvers Name” action, so that we can try to reproduce your issue.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

Below is the overall workflow screenshot

Current list columns

Approvers list column

Major version is not getting published. after approval gets completed it shows as 0.2.

Approval is inconsistent.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hi Revathy Raja,

I suggest you modifying and simplifying your workflow before “start approval process” as below:

In the “start approval workflow” action set as below:

When select users, double click “workflow lookup for a user” and set the data source as below:

If the issue exists, you can add “log to history action” to check the history if you can get the correct relevant values and share with us.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

• Marked as answer by Revathy Raja Monday, April 10, 2017 5:02 AM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the option as mentioned above. it worked fine for all the work stream option except the first option. It is triggering the workflow again and below is the screenshot of it.

Work stream is a lookup column. when I made it as mandatory column the dropdown is taking the default first alphabetic option instead of none.

And the version is not changing to published version (1.0)

Other than the task assigned person is able to approve the task. I have set the option in workflow as below

In workflow history

How to avoid this?

Thanks in advance

Revathy

Friday, March 31, 2017 4:51 AM
  • Hi Revathy Raja,

Make sure that you select "As string" in the "copy item from current item: workstream" action as below:

If the issue exists, please provide some example values of your relevant columns( workstream, Title in approvers list), so we try to reproduce your issue.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, March 31, 2017 5:37 AM
  • I copied it as string only.

Below is sample screenshot of relation between list

If I click save without selecting any streawork option it takes as distribution and starts the workflow. even after approval the workflow is not getting stopped

Friday, March 31, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Hi Revathy Raja,

I test in my environment and follow the same steps as you: save the document without select any streamwork option and it was set to “Distribution and Logistics” by default, it works well and finally the workflow completed.

Please create a new item, start the workflow and check if the issue exists.

Besides, Whether you enable “Require content approval for submitted items”?

If not, I suggest you Publishing this item to change to major version(1.0).

If yes, we need to Approved the item when we want the version change to major version. So I suggest you adding an action ”set content approval status” as below, it maybe tasks some time to complete:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

• Marked as answer by Revathy Raja Monday, April 10, 2017 5:03 AM
    Monday, April 03, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hello Grace Wang,

Workflow is working as expected. Thanks a lot.

Other than the task assigned person is able to approve the task. I have set the option in workflow as below

In workflow history

How to avoid this?

Regards,

Revathy

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Hi Revathy Raja,

Whether the user Raja, Revathy is an administrator role in this site?

Per my test, the administrator can approve all tasks even though he/she was not assigned to this task. And other user accounts which are not assigned to this task cannot approve this task.

As a workaround, I suggest administrator not approving the task if the task not assign to him/her.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hello Grace Wang,

Yes, I have been assigned with administrator permission. User with full control is also able to approve others task.

Thanks,

Revathy

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 10:40 AM
  • Hi Revathy,

Per my test, when a user with Full control, if the user start the workflow, he can see the record but when he access the approve task page, he will receive access denied message as below:

If the workflow start by other people, the user with Full control permission still cannot view the task record.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Hello,

I checked it from my end. Assigned full control access to user (Monisha)

assigned a task in my name (Revathy). When Monisha tried to approve the task it got approved.

For the same scenario I assigned Approve permission to user (Monisha). When she tried to approve the task assigned in my name it showed as access denied. But with full control she is able to approve others task.

I am not sure what mistake is happening.

Kindly assist me.

Thanks,

Revathy

Thursday, April 06, 2017 11:55 AM
  • Hi Revathy,

Please go to Central Administration->Application management->manage services on server, stop and then start the Distributed Cache, then Run->Services.msc->restart AppFabric Caching Service.

Check the difference between the outcome.

Besides, create a simple approval process workflow task and check if the users can approve the task with different permission.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, April 07, 2017 3:32 AM
  • Hello Grace Wang,

The default owner group which is created automatically causes the problem.

When I add the user to default owner group with full control permission they were able to approve others task.

I created a new group and assigned full control permission, this works as expected.

Thanks,

Revathy

Monday, April 10, 2017 5:01 AM