none
Problems in updating the summary task in Project Professional 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends,

I'm having problems updating the online summary of all project tasks and schedules of the company where I work, the simple fact that after the update a timetable data is not updated.

In Project Professional 2010 verified the following points.

The calculation method being used is automatic.
    The project summary tasks and tasks are all automatic too, none of them use the manual option.
    Efetuei also clearing cache.
    Project Professional 2010 with SP1 is installed.

If you know of any other procedure that I can use to fix the problem will be very grateful.

Hope it is not no bugs Project Professional 2010.

Thanks for the help.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Friday, August 3, 2012 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The fact that you mention Clearing Cache makes me wonder do you use Project Server?

If not let's not do further guesswork and send me he file to jandemesATprom-ade.be

Gretings,

Friday, August 3, 2012 6:47 PM
  • If you have Project Server, please do remember to PUBLISH your project also... Save in not enough!!!

Theofanis Giotis (MSc, MCT, PMP, PMI-ACP, PhD C.)

Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Hello Jan,

Thanks for the help.

Yes I use the Integrated Project Professional 2010 to Project Server 2010 and so far not been able to identify the problem.

The way of all tasks is as automatic and yet he is not calculating.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Hello Theofanis,

Thanks for the help.

Regarding the issue of updating the summary tasks the problem is occurring in Project Professional 2010. The publication process of the projects are running smoothly.

If you can give me another tip will help me a lot.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

• Proposed as answer by tstullie Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tstullie Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:57 PM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Here is how I've worked around the Summary Task Rollup not working for anything except select Microsoft set default fields.

1- Use he default project columns that roll up: % Complete - Work - Start - Finish - Cost.  These by default roll up and drive the Gantt Chart.  So my reports look right.

2- NEVER use the MS Project 'Actual' default columns, they have never done anything but cause me head aches.

3- Create 'Custom Fields' <Right Click on Add New Column, Select Custom Fields>  Select the 'Type' field you want to create give the field a unique Name.  CRITICAL STEP:  Be sure to set 'Calculate for task and group summary rows' to Rollup.  Set the type of rollup you want in the drop down.

NOTE:  There is no 'Work' custom field so I use Type: Number.

Hope this work around helps.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:24 PM
  • What happens when you hit the F9 function key? Under Options > Schedule tab, is Calculate turned on?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I would say that using custom fields is a good idea when you need them, but your statement recommending to NEVER use the MS Project Actual default columns is patently wrong.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:23 AM