Watermark not showing RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a watermark to a document that was originally created using picture tools, drawing tools and table tools.  As a watermark is a background feature, it does not show or print on the document (if I move the objects table, picture, etc it can be viewed)  Any suggestions on how I can add a watermark that will print over the document - there have been revisions to this document and I want to be sure this is not mistaken for the current document.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:14 PM

Answers

• What version of Word are you working with? 

You are getting caught in the various layers of a Word document. Watermarks and the header are considered to be in the background to the text layer where the images have been placed. I don't know that there is a way of putting a watermark on top of a picture.

If you are concerned about printed copies, you could try using postscript. These are old tips, I have not tried them recently, but as long as you select a PostScript printer driver they should work

Adding a Horizontal Watermark with a PostScript Printer

Applies to Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003

In a previous edition of WordTips you learned how to print a diagonal watermark across a page if you are using a PostScript printer. There may be times, however, when you do not want the watermark to be diagonal. The following command, when placed in a field inserted in a header or footer, will print the word DRAFT in a 100-point font across the center of your page.

Print \p page " /Wmark (DRAFT) def /WSize 100 def wp$x wp$right sub

wp$left add 2 div wp$y wp$top sub wp$bottom add 2 div translate

/Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont WSize scalefont setfont .7 setgray

3 setlinewidth Wmark stringwidth pop 2 div neg WSize .4 mul neg

moveto Wmark true charpath stroke "

Remember that all the text shown here must be placed within a field. You can insert the field braces by pressing Ctrl+F9. The font used is bold italics Helvetica; if you do not have that font in your printer, you can change the font name in the code to a font you do have. You can also change the word that is printed by changing the word DRAFT on the first line.

Adding a Diagonal Watermark with a PostScript Printer

A watermark is light printing that appears behind your normal text. With a PostScript printer, you can easily add a watermark to your documents by adding the Print field code to either your header or footer. Every page that uses the header or footer will show the watermark.

For instance, the following command, when placed in a field, will print the word DRAFT in a 100-point font at a 45-degree angle in the center of your document.

Print \p page " /Wmark (DRAFT) def /WSize 100 def /Wrot

45 def wp$x wp$right sub wp$left add 2 div wp$y wp$top

sub wp$bottom add 2 div translate Wrot rotate

/Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont WSize scalefont setfont

.7 setgray 3 setlinewidth Wmark stringwidth pop 2 div

neg WSize .4 mul neg moveto Wmark true charpath stroke "

The information shown above should be entered exactly as shown, but as a single paragraph. In other words, don’t press Enter within the text. Simply position the insertion pointer within the header or footer, then press Ctrl+F9 to insert a set of field braces. The information shown above is placed within the braces, as a single paragraph.

The font used is bold italics Helvetica; if you do not have that font in your printer, you can change the font in the code. You can also change the angle at which the watermark is printed by changing the number 45 on the first line, or you can change the word that is printed by changing the word DRAFT on the first line.

Remember that this works only with a PostScript printer. If you are using a non-PostScript printer or a non-PostScript printer driver with a printer that will understand multiple languages, then the field won’t work at all. If your printer doesn’t use true PostScript, but instead emulates the language, the field may not work as desired.

I suspect you are going to have to be satisfied with keeping the watermarks in your headers and footers to be visible.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:32 PM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Watermarks are anchored to the page header. I don't think there is anything you can do to bring them in front of the main body text. However, you can move the watermark so that it displays in the header area. Does that help?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:40 PM

All replies

• What is your version of Word and what is the format (doc or docx) of the file you're working on?

Watermarks are generally placed in the Header (as in Header and Footer) layer of the document. They are semitransparent graphics that display behind the text.

If you open your documents Header you can usually scroll thru the sections and see where the watermarks are.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:03 PM
  • The problem that I'm having is that the original invoices were created using table tools, drawing tools and picture tools.  If I move any of the objects I can see that the watermark is there, I just don't know how to bring it to the front.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:50 PM
  • What version of Word are you working with? 

You are getting caught in the various layers of a Word document. Watermarks and the header are considered to be in the background to the text layer where the images have been placed. I don't know that there is a way of putting a watermark on top of a picture.

If you are concerned about printed copies, you could try using postscript. These are old tips, I have not tried them recently, but as long as you select a PostScript printer driver they should work

Adding a Horizontal Watermark with a PostScript Printer

In a previous edition of WordTips you learned how to print a diagonal watermark across a page if you are using a PostScript printer. There may be times, however, when you do not want the watermark to be diagonal. The following command, when placed in a field inserted in a header or footer, will print the word DRAFT in a 100-point font across the center of your page.

Print \p page " /Wmark (DRAFT) def /WSize 100 def wp$x wp$right sub

wp$left add 2 div wp$y wp$top sub wp$bottom add 2 div translate

/Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont WSize scalefont setfont .7 setgray

3 setlinewidth Wmark stringwidth pop 2 div neg WSize .4 mul neg

moveto Wmark true charpath stroke "

Remember that all the text shown here must be placed within a field. You can insert the field braces by pressing Ctrl+F9. The font used is bold italics Helvetica; if you do not have that font in your printer, you can change the font name in the code to a font you do have. You can also change the word that is printed by changing the word DRAFT on the first line.

Adding a Diagonal Watermark with a PostScript Printer

A watermark is light printing that appears behind your normal text. With a PostScript printer, you can easily add a watermark to your documents by adding the Print field code to either your header or footer. Every page that uses the header or footer will show the watermark.

For instance, the following command, when placed in a field, will print the word DRAFT in a 100-point font at a 45-degree angle in the center of your document.

Print \p page " /Wmark (DRAFT) def /WSize 100 def /Wrot

45 def wp$x wp$right sub wp$left add 2 div wp$y wp$top

sub wp$bottom add 2 div translate Wrot rotate

/Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont WSize scalefont setfont

.7 setgray 3 setlinewidth Wmark stringwidth pop 2 div

neg WSize .4 mul neg moveto Wmark true charpath stroke "

The information shown above should be entered exactly as shown, but as a single paragraph. In other words, don’t press Enter within the text. Simply position the insertion pointer within the header or footer, then press Ctrl+F9 to insert a set of field braces. The information shown above is placed within the braces, as a single paragraph.

The font used is bold italics Helvetica; if you do not have that font in your printer, you can change the font in the code. You can also change the angle at which the watermark is printed by changing the number 45 on the first line, or you can change the word that is printed by changing the word DRAFT on the first line.

Remember that this works only with a PostScript printer. If you are using a non-PostScript printer or a non-PostScript printer driver with a printer that will understand multiple languages, then the field won’t work at all. If your printer doesn’t use true PostScript, but instead emulates the language, the field may not work as desired.

I suspect you are going to have to be satisfied with keeping the watermarks in your headers and footers to be visible.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Watermarks are anchored to the page header. I don't think there is anything you can do to bring them in front of the main body text. However, you can move the watermark so that it displays in the header area. Does that help?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:40 PM