none
Windows 10 Tech Preview ADK 15051 and later used with MDT 8443 will not boot when capturing a reference image RRS feed

• Question

• I could not find a Windows ADK forum, so I'm posting this here.

We build OS images using MDT 8443, Windows 10 ADK and the associated Windows 10 Pro OS. Our process includes capturing a reference image on a VM and deploying that captured image using USB flash drives. We use both Hyper-V and VMware ESXi for virtualization.

The last Redstone 2 Tech Preview ADK and related Windows 10 OS to work was build #15031. (build #15046 may also work; we are checking our notes).

Starting with build #15051, the attempt to boot the VM to capture the reference image would fail. The VM would not boot and just sit at the "Just a moment…" screen (for hours if left). We've examined the unattend logs in the Panther folder and have not found any obvious indication of error. We've rebuilt our MDT image servers and removed various customizations to eliminate possible problems introduced by our changes.

Even on an out-of-the-box deploy share, the build #15051 and later still have this problem.

On a possibly related note, one of the earlier builds (#15046?) had a signing problem on the boot.wim that "went away" in build #15051 but returned on #15058.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Friday, March 24, 2017 3:19 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I have not tried out build 15052 of the ADK (I need to back into that :)

It is not clear to me from your description above what the "just a moment... " screen is. Does this screen happen before or after the MDT "Sysprep" command, and before or after the final reboot into WinPE?

Typically, if you have a lot of updates, the machine will perform some servicing before rebooting. That's where you see the "just a moment..." screen. But that screen isn't in WinPE, it's still in the full OS, so I don't know where the ADK falls into this scenario.

IF you are still having problems, please upload a bdd.log file to a public site like onedrive and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:11 PM