Question about legality RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two XP computers here I have been given to sell on, both on XP home, both missing recovery disks.

Both have fully licensed COAs and relevant keys, and hardware remains unchanged (i.e it is no different from that of the SLP)

I had to wipe and reinstall for the sake of data protection, being OEM keys I had to copy replacement OEMBIOS files containing the correct SLPs into the installation disk and install that way.

Both keys are fully activated on their relevant computers and pass WGA validation. Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder shows the exact same key in the OS as on the computer's COA.

Would just like to verify this is fine, considering the license key is valid for this specific set of hardware? I don't want to be selling on if it's not legit.

Cheers
    Friday, August 12, 2011 4:14 PM

Answers

• As long as the licence key registered in Windows matches the COA, and the COA is reasonably undamaged and attached to the correct box, you are legal, especially if you've done the Windows Genuine Advantage update.

You don't have to have the original installation media to prove that it's legal.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:21 PM

All replies

• As long as the licence key registered in Windows matches the COA, and the COA is reasonably undamaged and attached to the correct box, you are legal, especially if you've done the Windows Genuine Advantage update.

You don't have to have the original installation media to prove that it's legal.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:21 PM
  • These two check all those boxes. Cheers!
    Friday, August 12, 2011 4:48 PM