none
Days Between Dates RRS feed

• Question

• Would appreciate help with the following:

I'm basing my schedule on start and end dates, if I input these dates the duration comes off short from the actual days between the dates.

Say from august 31st 2016 to august 15th 2017 there are 350 "real" days.

But MS Project will show me around 250. I've played with the week days and hours of the day, holidays etc. But the results never come up to the full real days.

How can i get the number of days between start day and end date of a task into a colum?

Thanks!

Fdo

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 10:36 PM

Answers

• Fdo,

First of all you shouldn't be inputting dates directly into the Start and Finish fields, unless your schedule is all manually scheduled tasks and that should only be used for very preliminary planning of a project. Direct input of dates sets constraints on either the start or finish depending on which was entered last, and constraints pretty much defeat the scheduling capabilities of Project.

What you are seeing in the Duration field is working days and those are based on the Standard calendar. If you want calendar days, you could enter the duration value as "edays" (elapsed days). If you are building a schedule wherein you have a 7 day workweek but still normal 8 hour workdays, you could create a 7 day calendar and set that as the Project calendar (Project/Properties group/Project Information). If your schedule goes 7-24, then you should set the Project calendar as the 24 hours calendar.

You also should check the definition of a "day", which is what Project displays in the Duration field. The default value is 8 hours but you can change it to meet your needs (File/Options/Schedule group.

So depending on what you trying to schedule, there are various ways to get what you need.

John

• Marked as answer by Fdo Foster Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:09 PM

All replies

• Fdo,

First of all you shouldn't be inputting dates directly into the Start and Finish fields, unless your schedule is all manually scheduled tasks and that should only be used for very preliminary planning of a project. Direct input of dates sets constraints on either the start or finish depending on which was entered last, and constraints pretty much defeat the scheduling capabilities of Project.

What you are seeing in the Duration field is working days and those are based on the Standard calendar. If you want calendar days, you could enter the duration value as "edays" (elapsed days). If you are building a schedule wherein you have a 7 day workweek but still normal 8 hour workdays, you could create a 7 day calendar and set that as the Project calendar (Project/Properties group/Project Information). If your schedule goes 7-24, then you should set the Project calendar as the 24 hours calendar.

You also should check the definition of a "day", which is what Project displays in the Duration field. The default value is 8 hours but you can change it to meet your needs (File/Options/Schedule group.

So depending on what you trying to schedule, there are various ways to get what you need.

John

• Marked as answer by Fdo Foster Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Thanks ed was what i was looking for
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Fdo,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:03 AM