none
System Image Backup Of C: Drive Much Slower Than D: Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 Backup under Windows 10 to create a System Image of both my C: drive (SSD) and D: drive (mechanical) to an external USB3 hard drive (M:).  When backing up the C: drive, Task Mgr shows Read MB/sec at around 12 and Write at about 24 on the ext drive.  The C: drive shows only Read MB/sec at 12.  When backing up D:, Read MB/sec is near zero and Write is around 75 MB/sec.  Thus it appears that the backup is reading C:, writing M:, reading M: and writing M: again.  It also appears that the backup is simply reading D: and writing M: (much, much faster!).  Any idea why the backups would be doing what looks like a verification of some soft of the C: drive data but not D:?  It really slows down the backup process.  Thanks!  ...Mike
    Monday, April 30, 2018 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

the speed of your backup depends on the size of the data being imaged and other factors including the speed of your backup HDD.

C contains program files, OS files, and supporting files for operating system.
    And D contains User data.

You could try to use some third party software to backup to check.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in my reply.  I appreciate the input.  I understand the overhead associated with backing many small files vs. fewer large files.  My concern is more related to what appears to be some sort of "verify" being done on the C drive but not the D drive.  Task Mgr shows data being read from C: @ 12MBs and written to M: @ 24MBs.  It also shows data being read from M: @ 12MBs. So it appears the backup is reading from C:, writing to M:, reading from M: and writing again to M:.  Whereas TskMgr, while it shows data being read from D: @ 75MBs and written to M: @ 75MBs, it shows near zero MBs read from M:.  So it appears the backup is only reading from D: and writing to M:.  No Verify being done.  I presume that if I can disable this real-time verify (or whatever it is), my C drive backup time will be cut in half.  Thanks a bunch!  ...Mike
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:35 AM
  • Any other thoughts on what may be causing this read/write/verify-like behavior or how to stop it?  Thanks so much.  ...Mike
    Saturday, August 25, 2018 11:51 PM