Dual monitor setup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 Home Professional 64 bit.
    Just spent 3.5 hours figuring this out:

I have a monitor and a TV hooked up to 8800 GTS.
    When installation is complete the basic setup questions are asked (how to manage automatic updates, user name / password, etc)

However, there's a bit of a problem with this:
    Windows determines the display with highest resolution as primary. In my case this is the TV (full hd vs 1680x1050 monitor).
    I had the TV on, so it was detected and used correctly.

However, the TV was set to another input and was NOT displaying the picture from my freshly installed PC.
    The monitor was blank - black background with NOTHING at all on it.

I thought setup froze and kept trying to reinstall the OS.
    Until I started moving the mouse around like crazy. Eventually / by chance I managed to move it into the monitor screen thus realizing that the computer was not frozen.
    Only then it occurred to me that the TV was selected as the primary screen.

Anyway, I'd sure like MS to include at least some kind of information on the secondary display telling the user that that display was secondary, possibly even letting the user change primary / secondary displays at this stage in setup.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

I suggest you download latest the driver for your 8800gts from www.nvidia.com.

In the settings options you can decide wich screen will be the primary.

Good luck.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:22 PM
  • At this point in setup, I can neither download nor install NV drivers. Of course I did that immediately after setup was complete.
    But that still can't save me from my own "mistake" of having both displays connected at all times.

Like I said: the only solution for this is for MS to add at least something to the secondary display during setup.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:12 AM