Updating existing App-v package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I am updating a App-v package using "SPRJ" file, but I want to change folder name as well (Like earlier it was "V:\ABC 5.0.0.0" now I want to change it to "V:\5.1.0.0")  any idea how can I change this? I don’t want to create new package, as I have to update a single file.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:28 AM

Answers

• Choose Save As in the sequencer - you get the option to change the asset folder there.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:00 PM

All replies

• Choose Save As in the sequencer - you get the option to change the asset folder there.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Hello Aaron

Thanks for reply, so if I am changing the asset folder name, then do I need to change OSD version also, as it differs from application version?

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

technically you don't have to change anything :-)

• The V:\ABC 5.0.0.0 [Primary Directory] is located inside the encapsulated virtual environment, so users usually don't see that at all. Furthermore there is a risk by changing this, because the application might have hard coded paths to the old folder (like in an INI or CFG or whatever file). The Sequencer only can correct (most of the) references in the virtual registry
    • The OSD file name (and maybe SPRJ/SFT file name) is only visible to administrators, users don't see that at all
    • The path to the SFT file (CODEBASE HREF; [DEPLOYMENT] tab in the Sequncer) is critical if you are using an App-V Management server to stream down stuff; this points to the location where (essentally) the SFT file will be downloaded from
    • Inside the OSD files, there are a NAME and VERSION attribute in the second line. This one is interesting, because users do see it when the application launches (blue launch bar above the system tray). Also the combination of these two has to be unique

Tim Mangan has very helpful blog article about that: http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=570 (and there is a free tool that shows you if you accidentially created unwanted duplicates: http://www.loginconsultants.com/en/about/news/tooling-login-app-v-analyzer)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:58 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for help on this.

But I have a scenario in which my package name is ABC and version is 5.0.0.0, now my main exe (which points to shortcut) changed and new version is 5.1.0.0. So I don’t want to sequence again but as I have to update one file I have taken OLD SPRJ i.e. 5.0 and changed one file, and change shortcut to 5.1, but when user launched application uses do see old version i.e. 5.0, for that I changed OSD file and as mentioned by you package name; that works for me. But if users need co-exists then my application will fail as Install DIR is same "V:\ABC 5.0.0.0", so is there any way to change primary folder name :)

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Regards, Balendra Tiwari

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Just change the shortcut target in your OSD file (FILENAME=...)?
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:00 PM