Windows Restarted Unexpectedly while applying systems settings after MDT 2012 deployment. RRS feed

• Question

• Posted this in another forum, so I figured give this forum a try.

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.  I've created a couple of WIMs and deployed them out using MDT 2012 and WDS running on a Windows 2008R2 server.  The images are created and captured fine.  Sysprep runs with no issues and I can deploy out the images to any PC/laptop I want.

The issue I'm running into is I can deploy out this image to 100 PC's without any issue.  Then all of a sudden, I'll get an error saying Windows restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error and can not continue.  This will then happen from now on with this particular image.  For instance I've imaged a particular Dell Optiplex 790 multiple times with no problem, then all of a sudden I get this error on this or any other PC i image.

If I create a new image, the pattern just keeps happening over and over again.  I know it's not an issue with the physical computers themselves and I can imagine something is corrupting every image I have over a certain amount of time, so I'm sort of at a loss.  Driver issue perhaps?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:21 PM

Answers

• The description of the problem is not very accurate.

Sounds like MDT has rebooted and Windows Setup (OOBE) has begun. THen sometime later another reboot, and the error message appears. If so this is a problem in WIndows Setup, and you will need to look at the Panther logs:

How to debug problems in Windows Setup (Panther)

If you still need help, please copy your logs to a public site like OneDrive and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hey Mike,

I actually replied to your original thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1857dd1b-8eff-407d-9095-1f838e22749d/#1857dd1b-8eff-407d-9095-1f838e22749d), but hadn't seen a response post to some of my questions.  Can you see the questions I had and reply back (that thread or this thread is fine)?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Monday, June 10, 2013 11:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry David....I'm on vacation and I didn't have a chance to reply back.

I didn't install any AV on the deployment server.  I do have physical backups of each .WIM so if (more like when) this happens again, I'll try the backup and see what happens.  It's just really strange that this started happening.  At first I thought something happened to the deployment share, so I rebuild the share.  Realized that wasn't the case so I rebuilt the whole server and recreated each image.

I even went so far as thinking maybe a piece of software I have preinstalled on the image was causing it, but the only software different from older WIM images I've used was Office 2013.  I discounted that idea when my base image that has no software preinstalled started doing it. 

I actually sat there watching it once...when it works the way it's supposed to, after applying system settings it will say setup will resume after computer restarts and it works fine.  I get the error when the PC just restarts while it says applying system settings.  Like the computer restarted before it completed applying settings.  Does that make any sense?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Yes, it's just weird that when it breaks on one machine, it breaks all future imagings with that image.  I wonder if something is locking and modifying the Unattend.xml or ts.xml on the server.  Maybe back both of those up, too, and next time it happens, just replace in the share itself (not import) the control files and the WIM itself and see if it still happens.

And worry about this when you get back, enjoy your vacation! : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about this.  I found a quick work around for it and forgot about this post.  I'm pretty sure I know where my problem is with this, but I don't know what's causing it. 

I think the issue with with the customsettings.ini file.  All the information was put in to join our domain.  When the machine starts and applies the settings after deployment, it could take almost 10-15 minutes to complete.  This is where the problem is.  After restart is when I get this error.  Sometimes the machine images successfully and sometimes it doesn't.  If I decide to not join it to a domain and just join a workgroup, it will work perfectly.  It will only take at most a minute to apply the settings and boom.  Everything works fine.

I can image all my machines with out joining them to the domain and just manually join them later, but that could get a little time consuming since we have almost 2000 computers that need to be imaged.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled MDT, even rebuilt a server and put it on that new server, but I still get the same result.  Ever hear about that before?

Thanks,

Michael

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Figured it out!!! It was the custom settings.ini file.  It wasn't automatically joining the domain, (at least not every time).  I had to use the FQDN instead of just the short name.  Once I used the FQDN, it worked with no problems at all.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • I'm having what sounds like the same problem, which is why I posted it with this thread.  I have been using MDT 2013 on various computers without any issues and now I am receiving the Windows restarted unexpectedly message after the image has been applied.  It will not get past the error.  We only recently began using MDT 2013 with windows 2012 R2, so I don't have much experience troubleshooting.  The only error I found in the smsts.log is as follows:

User specified local data drive D: TSManager 2/6/2015 1:20:20 PM 628 (0x0274)
    D:\_SMSTaskSequence does not exist TSManager 2/6/2015 1:20:20 PM 628 (0x0274)
    Creating directory D:\_SMSTaskSequence TSManager 2/6/2015 1:20:20 PM 628 (0x0274)
    uRet == ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS, HRESULT=80070003 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\utils.cpp,916) TSManager 2/6/2015 1:20:20 PM 628 (0x0274)
    Failed to create D:\_SMSTaskSequence (3) TSManager 2/6/2015 1:20:20 PM 628 (0x0274)

I am deploying windows 8 (x64 &x86) custom wim images created using Hyper-v.  In my custom.ini file I use an IP address for my server and I join the computer to our domain.  

1) Could the IP address be causing the problem?  Should I use the full domain address for my server?

2) If the WIM file is locked somehow or unavailable, what services should I turn off on the server?

3) Any other suggestions?

I won't have access to the server for a couple of days and I wanted to get help before I start to make changes or create another image.  Thank you!

Saturday, February 7, 2015 7:33 PM
  • The description of the problem is not very accurate.

Sounds like MDT has rebooted and Windows Setup (OOBE) has begun. THen sometime later another reboot, and the error message appears. If so this is a problem in WIndows Setup, and you will need to look at the Panther logs:

How to debug problems in Windows Setup (Panther)

If you still need help, please copy your logs to a public site like OneDrive and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:46 AM
  • Thank for pointing me in the right direction.  As it turns out the OOBE process began and failed to join the domain when we had a lot of network traffic.   I couldn't figure out why some deployments were fine and then others would time out.   Once I removed the domain join from the unattended file and updated the join domain task to automatically retry, it seems to be working.

Hopefully this will fix my issue.

Thanks again!

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:10 PM