none
Can't get MDT to deploy an image RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using MDT 2013, and I'm having problems getting it to deploy images.  I can build a VM with Win7 and the updates.  I can capture that image with a sysprep and capture sequence and add it as an OS to my delployment share.  I can then run a client task sequence, add drivers, and deploy that base with updates image to a target system (HP z820).  That worked.

I use the same VM.  I add my apps to the VM.  I run a sysprep and capture sequence to capture that image.  I add that 2nd image as an OS in my deployment share.  I then go back to the very same client task sequence I used to deploy the base image with updates.  I simply change the OS that's deployed to the one with apps added.  It fails while installing devices in setup.

I go back to the task sequence and change the image to the base with updates I had just previously and successfully deployed to the target. 

I don't get it.  It's probably not quite as simple as I've told it.  I've tried lots and lots of things.  I'm just not getting consistent results deploying an image and drivers.  I've got a z820 with nvidia K5000 card.  I'm downloading the driver pack from HP and the nvidia drivers from nvidia.  How do I troubleshoot?  Any ideas why I'm getting inconsistent results?

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:48 PM

All replies

• I'm using MDT 2013, and I'm having problems getting it to deploy images.  I can build a VM with Win7 and the updates.  I can capture that image with a sysprep and capture sequence and add it as an OS to my delployment share.  I can then run a client task sequence, add drivers, and deploy that base with updates image to a target system (HP z820).  That worked.

I use the same VM.  I add my apps to the VM.  I run a sysprep and capture sequence to capture that image.  I add that 2nd image as an OS in my deployment share.  I then go back to the very same client task sequence I used to deploy the base image with updates.  I simply change the OS that's deployed to the one with apps added.  It fails while installing devices in setup.

I go back to the task sequence and change the image to the base with updates I had just previously and successfully deployed to the target. 

I don't get it.  It's probably not quite as simple as I've told it.  I've tried lots and lots of things.  I'm just not getting consistent results deploying an image and drivers.  I've got a z820 with nvidia K5000 card.  I'm downloading the driver pack from HP and the nvidia drivers from nvidia.  How do I troubleshoot?  Any ideas why I'm getting inconsistent results?

You asked "How do I troubleshoot?"

Have you reviewed the logs to see what is might be causing the issuse? They are quickest way to track down problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:09 PM
  • There could be many factors in this issue...

1. What is the deployment menchanism used to deploy the image? Are you using WDS to deploy or are you using a Windows 7 client workstation to deploy the image using NTFS file shares (requires additional Bootstrap.ini configurations)?
    2. What is the error you are getting?

For the most part, if you are changing the Operating Systems in the task sequence, you need to take it a step further and update the deployment share (right-click the Deployment Share and choose Update DS) so that the task sequence sees the new Operating System (the pre-captured sysprepped image) you just imported. 

As far as troubleshooting, there are log files located usually in the c:\_SMSTaskSequence directory or even in the c:\MININT directory. The log file you are looking for to investigate further is the bdd.log or the SMSTSLOG.log file. 

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:55 PM
  • I've done so many things, I don't recall how I started!  I'm using only the MDT tool.  I started by getting a win7 installation disk and adding that to the deployment share.  I deployed that to the VM and added the windows updates.  I'm using the lite touch task sequences to deploy and capture. 

The error I'm getting is just failure to setup devices.  "Setup is installing devices (98%)"

I will look through the logs more carefully.  It just looks like a driver issue, and I don't understand why just adding apps and changing the OS would lead me to have driver problems.  I have been updating the deployment share every time I make a change.  However, I'm booting the target machine with a bootable WINpe USB.  I haven't been updating the boot image.

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:10 PM
  • From that error screen, open up a Command Prompt window. I believe it's either F6, F8 or SHIFT+F10. Once the command window is open, navigate to the c:\Windows\Panther\UnattendGC directory and copy the SETUPACT.log and SETUPERR.log files to a usb drive. Post the contents of the SETUPERR.log files here in the thread. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps address your issue. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Two more things.  I changed the task sequence to load the base image that had worked before.  That fails now too with the same problem as above. That installing devices message was on the screen overnight.  I was getting ready to capture the logs today, and when I pulled out the WinPe usb stick, it finished the setup, rebooted, and all was well.  I'm trying it again now with image that has the apps.  Remove the bootable usb stick and it worked!  Explain that!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Send the logs I requested above and I'm sure I can explain where you break is at. If the USB drive is the progblem... Chances are, you may have a bad chipset driver in your drivers repository. 

Look in the C:\ of the image that worked... Do you see a MININT, _SMSTaskSequence, or a Deploy directory? If you answer yes... Then that means MDT did not complete. Chances are, MDT deployment process stopped and you are now able to get into the desktop without incident.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps address your issue. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:32 PM
  • I just imaged two systems, and the problem didn't happen at all.  There is no Minint directory.  I'll have to go back tomorrow and find the one I imaged and had the problem.  I assume the logs will still be there even though it eventually finished apparently successfully. If I have a bad driver, I can't understand why one image/driver set works.  Then the same image (+ apps)/same driver set doesn't work.  Then the first image/same driver set, doesn't work the next time I run it.

I'll work on capturing the logs either from one that recovered (removing the usb) or I'll try to duplicate the problem and capture the logs while it's stuck.  Do I just paste that into a post here?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:26 PM
  • I have a system stuck at the "setup is installing devices (98%)."

Here is the contents of the c:\windows\panther\unattendgc\setupact.log file.  Nothing in the error log:

2014-01-22 10:45:37, Info                         [windeploy.exe] ------------------------------------------------
    2014-01-22 10:45:37, Info                         [windeploy.exe] WinDeploy.exe launched with command-line []...
    2014-01-22 10:45:37, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Setup has not completed, adding pending reboot.
    2014-01-22 10:45:37, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Found generalization state [0x4], setup.exe completion flag [False] --> launching setup.exe.
    2014-01-22 10:45:37, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Launching [C:\windows\system32\oobe\setup.exe]...
    2014-01-22 10:55:41, Info                         [SETUPSQM.EXE] SetupSQM started
    2014-01-22 10:55:41, Info                         [SETUPSQM.EXE] Panther path is C:\windows\Panther
    2014-01-22 10:55:41, Info                         [SETUPSQM.EXE] SQM not opted in
    2014-01-22 10:55:41, Info                         [SETUPSQM.EXE] SetupSQM is finished

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:06 PM
  • I'm pretty sure this is going to be a problem with USB3.0.  When I boot with winpe from a usb2.0 port, I don't think it fails.  I have the TI usb3.0 chipset and the drivers in my deployment share.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Try plugging into a USB 2.0 port just to be sure.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:38 AM
  • If I put the winpe usb drive into the 2.0 port, it works.  It fails with the 3.0 port every time.
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:29 PM