none
Managing Holidays / Vacations for a global team RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're in the process of rolling out Project Server 2010 in my department and I have what seems like a simply question of what is the best practice for recording the holiday / vacation time for each of the team members.  The current suggestion is that team members record time off through their time sheets.  While this will work, it seems a very retrospective way of doing so and doesn't take into account any future holidays.

We want to know when someone has any time booked off in the future so it is taken in account duirng the planning process.

Our existing process involved our admin assistant tracking time off within a spreadsheet, once the time off has been approved.  I want to extend this process so that the time off is also entered in project server so it is taken into account during resource planning.  (Ideally I'd like to get rid of our holiday spreadsheet altogether)

Another option suggested is to keep a separate project schedule purely to record holiday time for the team.  This seems a simply way of achieving what we require, as the admin assistant can be assigned as the plan owner.

I'm concerned that this should be a simple solution as every organisation has this process, but I can seem to find a definitive answer.

Many thanks

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• Alistair:

Any Vacation/Non-Working time can be "Planned" from the timesheets.

• Open the timesheet for the corresponding week, in which you want to plan the vacation.
    • Make sure the “Planned” line is inserted.
    • Enter the hours on the days that you plan to take vacation for.
    • Once you are done, select the row and click on Send Status button from the Ribbon, and select “Selected Tasks”

This can be set to be approved by the Resource Manager.

Once the resource is back from vacation, they can report "Actual" hours on the same line, which generally is input into an employee vacation management system.

Holidays are generally "Planned" through the enterprise calendars. This will allow the Project Managers not to book work during holidays, and resources can report actuals like they do any other task.

makes sense?

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:58 PM

All replies

• Alistair:

Any Vacation/Non-Working time can be "Planned" from the timesheets.

• Open the timesheet for the corresponding week, in which you want to plan the vacation.
    • Make sure the “Planned” line is inserted.
    • Enter the hours on the days that you plan to take vacation for.
    • Once you are done, select the row and click on Send Status button from the Ribbon, and select “Selected Tasks”

This can be set to be approved by the Resource Manager.

Once the resource is back from vacation, they can report "Actual" hours on the same line, which generally is input into an employee vacation management system.

Holidays are generally "Planned" through the enterprise calendars. This will allow the Project Managers not to book work during holidays, and resources can report actuals like they do any other task.

makes sense?

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for the response.  It makes sense from an approval perspective, when you say Resource Manager, is this the person configured to be the Timesheet Manager for that person?

One things this process doesn't take into account is that request will also need checking against the users holiday allowance.  Within our organisation, we have an admin roll that checks this prior to the approval of the line manager.  Each team member can have a separate allowance based on entitlement & carried over days and so we currently keep this within a spreadsheet. 

I'd like to get rid of the spreadsheet and have all the information in  Project Server.  I can imagine that we can create a report to extract the number of days a user has requested as vacation, but suspect that we may need an offline process unless we add addition fields to PS to capture this information?

To complicate matters, for our initial roleout, team members will not be entering timesheets due to us having an existing timesheet system which is used for more than we will initially be using PS for.  We will be migrating to timesheet entry but not for a couple of months.  Currently PMs will be manually updating plans with data from the timesheet system, they are currently doing this now in standalone instance or MS Project.

Apologies for the long winded response 

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Alistair,

Yes, when I said Resource Manager, I meant the Timesheet Manager.

As far as the requirement of keeping in check the "Total Allowance" and "Remaining Balance", you could a)maintain that data in a SharePoint List and b) create a report that does the calculations. Then it is just a matter of the Timesheet Manager checking that report before approving the vacation.

And finally, yes, not having the time in the system does complicate the issue. What I have done previously in similar cases (think external contractors who do not use project server), is to create Delegate Sessions, and have an admin assistant or the PM update directly on the timesheets. This way all "time" data is in timesheet tables, and also any non-work time reported will update project scheudles.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for the response.  By using the system yesterday, I thought the delegate session was the way to go.

With your help, I now understand how this process should work.

The only problem I have now is that I can't approve the administrative time.  It looks like it is going for approval, but never appears in the 'Approval Center'.

I've looked at the forum posts and nothing has solved the problem.  I suspect it is a configuration issue which I'm going to report back to the consultancy that set it up.  I think they may have changed the approval workflow for timesheets.

Regards

Alistair

Further to this, I now know one of the reasons why the request wasn't going for approval.  The user was set as an Administrator, for non administrator users it was working fine.  I therefore removed the administrator access from this user and submited a request, which went for approval.

The next challenge is to understand why requests from administrators are not requiring approval.  Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:18 AM