none
Replica is inconsistant for storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

One question for which I do not understand that this might be the reason or not. As per Microsoft while creating the storage pool we define the retention period lets say 5 days after that DPM will overright this with the new backup which is being taken from same storage pool (I am only taking disk to disk backup). My question is if in the storage pool I define the express full backup for BMR to be taken every Friday and the retention time is 5 days so this means every 8th day dpm is backing up or creating replicas for that so if I took the backup on Friday which is first day and the fifth day is Tuesday will it delete the previous replica / recovery point or will not delete until or unless the next Friday comes for the second recovery point. what I am doing is correct or I should not define 5 days instead I should define more days.

My DPM 2012 is always saying for BMR backup as replica is inconsistent as for the first time it took the backup successfully now it is showing replica is inconsistent my thinking is if backup is being taken every 8th day and dpm is looking in to the protected server which have some changes but it can not do any thing because it has to take the backup every 8th day does it make sense and should I change this or this could be some thing else.

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM will not delete the recovery point until a new recovery point is created.  A replica can only become inconsistent if a backup in progress fails. Under Management, look at the jobs and create a custom filter and look for the last successful backup, then see why the next backup failed and try to eliminate any future failures. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:50 PM