none
How does one give a user permission to create list templates? RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MOSS SharePoint 2007 enterprise.

From searching the web, I have found various pages that show the clicks to take to create a list template.

However, what I am encountering is this. I am a member of the owner group for a site. I go to a list's settings and click on create a template for this list. I get an "Access denied" message.

So, if I am one of the site owners, why can't I create a template?

Do I have to make uses site collection owners to be able to create templates?

That seems a bit extreme.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Design or above level permission levels are able to use save list as template feature so you should verify the permission.Make sure you are not breaking permission at list level. You should also check  "List Template Gallery " permission ( go to site settings-->click list templates--then go to settings page to verify permission.

See this similar thread:: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/804139a8-39e9-45a6-a60e-a190cc450a8c

Let us know your result

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Design or above level permission levels are able to use save list as template feature so you should verify the permission.Make sure you are not breaking permission at list level. You should also check  "List Template Gallery " permission ( go to site settings-->click list templates--then go to settings page to verify permission.

See this similar thread:: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/804139a8-39e9-45a6-a60e-a190cc450a8c

Let us know your result

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Thank you. I am awaiting word back from the user as to whether this worked.

I believe the option we chose was to break the inheritance and give the user design permissions just for this list, since that is not permissions we wish the user to have against the other 300 or more sites on the site collection.

I will let you know if this fixes things.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:17 PM