none
Mirroring between VMs on Failover Cluster

Question

• Hello,

I tried to find solution for a following problem, but with no success.

I have two VMs in failover cluster environment. One of them is a source machine for Hyper-V vSwitch Port Mirroring, another one is destination. Everything works fine, when both VMs are running on the same host - mirroring is running pretty well and I can capture all the interesting traffic on destination VM.

Problem arises, when I move one machine to second host using Live Migration - then mirroing stops working.

My Cluster consists of two 2012 R2 hosts.

Is the any way to force mirroring running, when both VMs are on different hosts ?

Is there any way in Hyper-V failover cluster to "pair" these VMs and force them to run only on the same host ?

BEST REGARDS

Robert 

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

There is no build-in settings in failover cluster .

And , I didn't find a workaround to achieve that .

IMHO, it is not feasible .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:32 AM
  • "am thinking about "pairing" these two VMs so that both are running on the same host (one machine "follows" the other)."

There is nothing built-in to automatically set up what you are asking for, but you can build dependencies between resources.  I haven't tried creating a single resource group consisting of two different VMs, but that might be possible.  In a resource group, if any component causes failover to another node, all components move.

tim

Thursday, April 6, 2017 12:25 PM

All replies

• To run VMs in a cluster, you have to have the same virtual switches defined on each node of the cluster.  However, even though the virtual switch on each node has the exact same name, it is a completely separate virtual switch associated with a physical NIC on each respective node of the cluster.  Therefore, when a virtual machine is running on NodeA and is referencing virtual switch A, it is referencing a virtual switch created on a physical NIC on NodeA.  When another virtual machine running on NodeB is referencing virtual switch A, it is referencing a virtual switch created on a physical NIC on NodeB.  The two VMs are referencing tow different resources by the same name.  As a result even though the VMs are referencing the 'same' virtual switch A, they are actually referencing two distinct virtual switches.

tim

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Tim,

You are right - both VMs are referencing to distinct virtual switches.

But is there any way to find some workaround (beside trying to reconfigure physical network) ?

I am thinking about "pairing" these two VMs so that both are running on the same host (one machine "follows" the other).

REGARDS

Robert  

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Hi Sir,

There is no build-in settings in failover cluster .

And , I didn't find a workaround to achieve that .

IMHO, it is not feasible .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:32 AM
  • "am thinking about "pairing" these two VMs so that both are running on the same host (one machine "follows" the other)."

There is nothing built-in to automatically set up what you are asking for, but you can build dependencies between resources.  I haven't tried creating a single resource group consisting of two different VMs, but that might be possible.  In a resource group, if any component causes failover to another node, all components move.

tim

Thursday, April 6, 2017 12:25 PM