Server 2012 patch to 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a SQL database server (VM) that is running on Windows Server 2012 64bit. 

I want to upgrade the OS version to Windows Server 2012R2. I am quite hesitant to do it, because I have about 349 client databases that is running on the server. I am afraid that something might go wrong and client work processes might go down. 

The reason why I want to upgrade is because of performance issues on the server. And the hope is that this will help with performance issues.   

My server has Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2620 v3 2.4 ghz (4 Processors) 40GB Ram and the OS runs on Solid fire storage. The instance runs 349 databases. I don't know if I am expecting to much of the server with that amount of databases?

The performance issues usually occurs on a Friday in the afternoon, then the server becomes unresponsive. I am not sure if there is some kind event running on a Friday that causes the server to go unresponsive.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you 

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi PieterGS,

In firstly,

Option 1

1. Get full Server Backup as well SQL DB backups....(SnapShot, Windows Backup)

2. Resore Backup on another VM and Check Functionality.

3. If It's OK check upgrade with that server....

Option 2

1. Install new VM with current configuration with 2012R2, Same SQL Versions....

2. Do fully patch updates on it...

3. Restore SQL backup on new server...

4. Check Functionality

Option 31. Backup..... Backup.... Backup...... current server..

2. Get down time....

3. Proceed upgrade and then check the functionality...

As I think, Option 2 is the best way.......

But you have to change SQL instance name and server IP as current server later

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:38 AM
  • My first thought would be to perform some monitoring on the existing system.  Unless you have found something specific in the release notes of Windows Server 2012 R2 about performance improvements specific to your environment, it is questionable that an operating system upgrade will change performance.

Monitoring what is happening on Friday afternoons should help you determine the solution.  Though it makes sense to upgrade to later versions of the operating system for support reasons, it really sounds like you have an application issue.  It may be too much IO or not enough memory, or something else.  Only monitoring your existing environment will tell you what you need.

tim

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Migration is always recommended for upgrading Windows Server system.

Also, as it is a VM system, for Windows Server system itself, you can consider of in-place upgrade from WS 2012 to WS 2012 R2.

Please remember to backup Windows Server system, SQL database and relate informant data before any change.

Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 R2:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn303416(v=ws.11)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 19, 2018 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi PieterGS,

In firstly,

Option 1

1. Get full Server Backup as well SQL DB backups....(SnapShot, Windows Backup)

2. Resore Backup on another VM and Check Functionality.

3. If It's OK check upgrade with that server....

Option 2

1. Install new VM with current configuration with 2012R2, Same SQL Versions....

2. Do fully patch updates on it...

3. Restore SQL backup on new server...

4. Check Functionality

Option 31. Backup..... Backup.... Backup...... current server..

2. Get down time....

3. Proceed upgrade and then check the functionality...

As I think, Option 2 is the best way.......

But you have to change SQL instance name and server IP as current server later

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:38 AM
  • My first thought would be to perform some monitoring on the existing system.  Unless you have found something specific in the release notes of Windows Server 2012 R2 about performance improvements specific to your environment, it is questionable that an operating system upgrade will change performance.

Monitoring what is happening on Friday afternoons should help you determine the solution.  Though it makes sense to upgrade to later versions of the operating system for support reasons, it really sounds like you have an application issue.  It may be too much IO or not enough memory, or something else.  Only monitoring your existing environment will tell you what you need.

tim

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Migration is always recommended for upgrading Windows Server system.

Also, as it is a VM system, for Windows Server system itself, you can consider of in-place upgrade from WS 2012 to WS 2012 R2.

Please remember to backup Windows Server system, SQL database and relate informant data before any change.

Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 R2:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn303416(v=ws.11)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 19, 2018 9:04 AM