Window Opens Multiple Windows and Won't Close Them RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to open a Word doc from a file on my thumb drive. Once doing so, now my computer on its own is opening many Word Documents that are blank and when I try to close them it says it cannot because a dialogue box is open. I close the box and it opens another document. 
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is thumb drive?

Did this problem appear in all Word documents?

Could you provide a screenshot about your error message dialogur box?

In my opinion, please check the startup folder and clear all files in it:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup\

Then open Excel and go to File- Options- Trust Center- Trust Center settings...- Trusted Locations, delete the StartUp location from the list:

Restart Word and check the result, any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:23 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 26, 2018 9:34 AM
  • The safe approach is NOT to open anything in Word on the thumb drive. Instead, copy the file to your computer's hard drive and then open it from within Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:24 AM