Looking for streaming and publishing design advice RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of designing a full infrastructure system. I am hoping that someone who has tried a similar design could advise as to how well my design works in practise, and whether there are any potential problems

Ignoring the supporting infrastructure (AD, SQL, management server service) for the moment, I have up to 4 virtual servers potentially available to me for my App-V publishing and streaming infrastructure. As we have 5000 workstations it could potentially need to support 5000 simultaneous users.

Initially I was tempted to use 4 separate App-V management servers load balanced, but after reading some of Microsoft's white papers, it seems that IIS is capable of much better streaming performance than App-V management server (apparently IIS can handle 100 000 cached app launches per minute, compated to 1800 for App-V server, according to Microsoft). Also, having IIS already in place for streaming might be a useful base configuration to build upon if we ever decide to allow application delivery over the internet.

I am now tempted to have 2 x App-V management servers load balanced, and 2 x IIS servers load balanced. Clients would initially contact the App-V servers  (port 554) to receive application publishing details, then collect their OSD, ICON and SFT file from the IIS servers (port 80). I would use either osdsoureroot/iconsourceroot/applicationsourceroot client settings, or application configuration at the management console, to accomplish this. I am hoping that this configuration will give me:

1. Better performance than the "4 App-V server" option.

2. Avoid using the high port numbers (49152-65535) required by App-V servers when streaming, so firewalls will only require ports 554 and 80 open between clients and App-V/IIS servers.

3.Provide a flexible base configuration which can easily be built upon in the future, e.g. install certificates and create a publishing web page for internet access if it is ever required.

Has anyone out there tried this configuration? I'm particularly interested in whether IIS performance really is that much better than App-V server streaming, or is IIS just adding more complexity to my design for no tangible benefit?

Any comments much appreciated.

Friday, November 19, 2010 9:41 AM

Answers

• I think you're on the right track with your design. I don't see that implementing IIS for streaming isn't any more complex than using the Management Server or the Streaming Server.

To ensure a single port and if the intention might be to stream applications over the Internet then you will have to configure for RTSPS and HTTPS.

Use of OSDSourceRoot and IconSourceRoot will require placing a copy of OSD files and the Icon folders from each package into a single folder (i.e. unfortunately OSDSourceRoot and IconSourceRoot don't work like ApplicationSourceRoot).

• Marked as answer by Mark Johnstone Friday, November 19, 2010 11:10 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:35 AM

All replies

• I think you're on the right track with your design. I don't see that implementing IIS for streaming isn't any more complex than using the Management Server or the Streaming Server.

To ensure a single port and if the intention might be to stream applications over the Internet then you will have to configure for RTSPS and HTTPS.

Use of OSDSourceRoot and IconSourceRoot will require placing a copy of OSD files and the Icon folders from each package into a single folder (i.e. unfortunately OSDSourceRoot and IconSourceRoot don't work like ApplicationSourceRoot).

• Marked as answer by Mark Johnstone Friday, November 19, 2010 11:10 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Thanks very much. You've also managed to answer my next question before I asked it! I was having trouble getting iconsourceroot and osdsourceroot to work - I was expecting these files to be found under their respective sub-folders (like applicationsourceroot) but as you've said it looks like I'll need to copy them to a single folder. Thanks again.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:08 AM