none
Icon won't delete from desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have an icon on my desktop that will not delete. it claims that the file is not located where it is. I downloaded an mp3 off the internet and named it wtp.mp3. the period was in the filename.

apparently i had tried to delete the icon while it was downloading and now i can't delete the icon from my desktop. any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the exact error message?

I suggest run Disk cleanup to check the result. Click Start, type disk cleanup and right click on it select run as administrator. Choose C:drive and start a cleanup.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that you mentioned there is a period in the file name, what is the exact file name? this issue may occur due to invalid characters of file name. I would suggest a third party software delinvFile  to help us remove it.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by iCactus Dog Monday, August 30, 2010 7:58 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may occur when a malware in the website modified the registry. To remove it, we need delete the registry key.

To find the corresponding key, you need to perform the following steps:

Type "regedit" in start menu and right click on regedit.exe and choose "Run as administrator" to open it.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

, right click NameSpace, select export and save it to desktop or anywhere elso as backup since modifying registry mistakenly may result in a faulty system.

Expend namespce in the left panel, under this key you will find several regitry value in {}, delete one by one. Remember the name of the key deleted, after each one, save the settings and refresh the windows explorer to check if the shortcut icon disappeared. If so, the one you deleted is the corresponding one we are looking for.

Please note that the following two keys should not be deleted:

{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

After finding the key, right click on the REG file you saved as backup to restore the registry key, and delete the corrupt one we find.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:31 AM
  • i wish i could say that this worked, but sadly, it did not. there are 2 registries that i can not delete they are

{8FD8B88D-30E1-4F26-AC2B-553D3D65F0EA}

AND

{ED228FDF-9EA8-4870-83b1-96b02CFE0D52}

any suggestions?

it just says error while deleting registry.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

What is the error message like? Did you install any software alone with the mp3 file?

See if you can delete it from there/ It also might be in the C:\Users\All Users\Desktop or the C:\Users\Default User\Desktop.

Also try the following two methods:

1. Right-click it and choose "Add to  wtp.zip". When it tried to add to a ZIP file, no matter what window prompt, click OK and then delete it to chec the result.

2. Delete the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Local\ and restart your computer. Please note make you have make hidden file shown from Windows explore->file and folder options->under view tab-> check the box before "show hidden files".

Regards,

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

What is the error message like? Did you install any software alone with the mp3 file?

See if you can delete it from there/ It also might be in the C:\Users\All Users\Desktop or the C:\Users\Default User\Desktop.

Also try the following two methods:

1. Right-click it and choose "Add to  wtp.zip". When it tried to add to a ZIP file, no matter what window prompt, click OK and then delete it to chec the result.

2. Delete the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Local\ and restart your computer. Please note make you have make hidden file shown from Windows explore->file and folder options->under view tab-> check the box before "show hidden files".

Regards,

i wish i could say that any of these worked, but they didn't. it wasn't in any of the C\users\desktop folders

and it wasn't in the app data folder. and the wtp.zip method didn't work either.

i don't know what to do. i just want it off my desktop

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

What is the exact error message?

I suggest run Disk cleanup to check the result. Click Start, type disk cleanup and right click on it select run as administrator. Choose C:drive and start a cleanup.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that you mentioned there is a period in the file name, what is the exact file name? this issue may occur due to invalid characters of file name. I would suggest a third party software delinvFile  to help us remove it.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability

Regards,

• Marked as answer by iCactus Dog Monday, August 30, 2010 7:58 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:55 AM
  • the name of the file is wtp.mp3. there are two periods within the file. i downloaded the delinvfile program, but i can't go directly to the desktop to delete the file. 

edit: nevermind, the delinvfile program worked. however, i would appreciate that this stayed up just in case

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:51 PM