Sidebar RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't used the sidebar in several months but just recently decided I wanted to put it back on my desktop.  The problem I am having is this... when my computer starts I get a security warning which says "The Publisher could not be verified..."   When I click "Run" I get another message that says "Settings.ini is being used by another process." and I have to cancel out of it.    However if I right-click and "Run as Administrator"  I get the same initial message  "The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure?" So I click "Run"  I then get the message "An unidentified program wants to access your computer"  and when I "allow",  sidebar then runs normally, until my next reboot and then I have to start the process all over.
    Are You Following Me?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:01 PM

Answers

• This behavior may be caused by third party programs. I suggest that you boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are the prompts from the system or some security programs?

If the prompts are from security programs, you may need to reconfigure the programs to trust Sidebar and the Gadgets.

However, if the pop-up prompts are from Windows Vista system, the behavior can be caused by one of your Gadgets that is not compatible. I suggest that you unload any third party Gadgets one by one to find the root cause.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:42 AM
  • The 1st prompt is a security warning asking me "Are you sure you want ot run this?" When I click on RUN  I get the second warning.  The real Kicker is that even if I remove all the gadgets, I still get the same warning.
    Are You Following Me?
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:34 PM
  • This behavior may be caused by third party programs. I suggest that you boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 9:16 AM