none
Removing Exchange 2007 CAS Array RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have two CAS Array (CAS/HT) server on Exchange 2007 named Server1 and Server2. I want to remove the CAS Array and also wanted to remove the Server 2. i need to use only one CAS Server (CAS/HT) server1.

anybody can help me with th steps.

Regards,

Devang Patel

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• For starters, if you have Exchange 2007, you do not have a CAS Array.  You may be using Windows NLB for load balancing.   Can you clarify which version of Exchange you have?  Open up the Exchange GUI and click on Help - About Exchange Server.  Reply back with the version you have.

If it is Exchange 2007, more than likely you are using Windows Network Load Balancing for these servers. 

If it is Exchange 2010, then you can use this page to help remove a node from the CAS array - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351108.aspx 

Hope that helps.

JAUCG
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:07 AM
  • If you want the server completely removed from Exchange so that you have a single Hub/CAS server, then I would first remove it from the NLB.  Then uninstall Exchange.  One thing to watch for is that any of your Web services (OWA, ActiveSync, Outlook Anywhere) might be going to the NLB address (IP and name).  Keep this in mind if you are going to remove the array as well. 
    JAUCG
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• For starters, if you have Exchange 2007, you do not have a CAS Array.  You may be using Windows NLB for load balancing.   Can you clarify which version of Exchange you have?  Open up the Exchange GUI and click on Help - About Exchange Server.  Reply back with the version you have.

If it is Exchange 2007, more than likely you are using Windows Network Load Balancing for these servers. 

If it is Exchange 2010, then you can use this page to help remove a node from the CAS array - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351108.aspx 

Hope that helps.

JAUCG
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:07 AM
  • hi

we have exchange 2007 sp1 and yes we have created through NLB. so if i want to remove it should i delete it from the Windows NLB. once the nodes has been removed from the NLB both CAS/HT server will be acting as a single server.

regards

devang

Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:36 AM
  • If you want the server completely removed from Exchange so that you have a single Hub/CAS server, then I would first remove it from the NLB.  Then uninstall Exchange.  One thing to watch for is that any of your Web services (OWA, ActiveSync, Outlook Anywhere) might be going to the NLB address (IP and name).  Keep this in mind if you are going to remove the array as well. 
    JAUCG
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hi Devang Patel,

JFYI: HUB server does not require NLB.. if we have more than one HUB server in a site they will be sharing their load automatically. 

Thanks & Regards, Kottees **** Please mark as an answer if it is really helps you.
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:50 AM
  • if it's exh2007, it would be NLB( not CAS Array), just remove the node from NLB, unistall Exchange 2007

if it's exh2010, once you create CAS Array, automatically All CAS Servers will be added on particular AD Site, so if u have  3 or more CAS on same site , you can't just remove one CAS Servers from CAS Array.

if it's exh2010, only two Servers are on CAS Array, just remove CAS Array( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351108.aspx ), unistall secound CAS Servers

cheers

Monday, January 9, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Any updates on this?
    JAUCG
    Friday, January 13, 2012 1:11 AM