App-V No Longer Updating Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've sequenced a number of apps and the updating of the shortcuts on the Start Menu has stopped for users.

it works fine for a user account that has less GP restrictions. However, I've given the standard account the same level of permissions yet the Start Menu won't update.

Anyone seen something similar? Been tearing my hair out on this one.

Thanks

Russell

Russell Robertson
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Depending on how you actually went about this - I would not assume that you actually would reset the permissions to the original state when removing the GPO or the settings from the GPO.

I would consider the problem to extremely likely that you have pushed out permissions and not reset those to the original state (ergo - users cannot write to the start-menu)

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you set permissions on the start-menu that allow users to write to them?
    /Znack
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi Znack

It all points to permissions somewhere, but its a case of where.

I haven't changed the permissions on the Start Menu to disallow users to write to them. I had changed GP to prevent users making chnages but this has been removed. And it's not a preference so removing the GP should remove the restriction.

I also think that the GP restriction should not stop App-V populating the Start Menu. The desktop is locked down, but App-V still places shortcuts on the desktop.

I'll check file permissions where I can.

More than happy to here more ideas!

Thanks

Russell

Russell Robertson
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hello,

Depending on how you actually went about this - I would not assume that you actually would reset the permissions to the original state when removing the GPO or the settings from the GPO.

I would consider the problem to extremely likely that you have pushed out permissions and not reset those to the original state (ergo - users cannot write to the start-menu)

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:49 AM
  • What's your App-V deployment method? i.e. are you deploying packages per-user or per-machine?

What Start Menu settings are you applying via Group Policy? e.g. redirecting the Start Menu, hding the Common programs folder etc

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:02 PM