Exchange 2010 MP, DAG and Test-CASConnectivityUser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

What is the recommended way to handle the following situation?

After installing Exchange 2010 MP (14.0.650.8) the following appears;

Warning Alerts:
    WebServices connectivity (Internal) transaction failure - The credentials cannot be used to test Web Services.
    Some Client Access test cmdlets failed to run

Monitors in Warning:
    KHI: An Exchange ActiveSync connectivity (Internal) transaction failure occurred. The test credentials can't be used to test Exchange ActiveSync.
    KHI: An Outlook Web App connectivity (External) transaction failure occurred. The test credentials can't be used to test Outlook Web App.
    KHI: An Outlook Web App connectivity (Internal) transaction failure occurred. The test credentials can't be used to test Outlook Web App.
    KHI: Exchange Control Panel connectivity (External) transaction failure - The test credentials can't be used to test Exchange Control Panel.
    KHI: Exchange Control Panel connectivity (Internal) transaction failure - The test credentials can't be used to test Exchange Control Panel.
    KHI: There was a Web Services connectivity (Internal) transaction failure. The credentials supplied can't be used to test Web Services.

I know that this is due to the fact that the script "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" is not yet run.

QUESTION #1:
    In an environment with four servers in DAG and six databases, how do I run the script to create the necessary mailboxes?

QUESTION #2:
    KB2022687 says that "Microsoft does not recommend using the Test-CASConnectivityUser.PS1 script with SCOM in production."
    (I assume it´s meant to say "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1")
    If I follow this recommendation how do I handle the alerts/monitors regarding credentials above, without messing up correlation?

QUESTION #3:
    At this point, when "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" is not run, the following monitors are green:
     KHI: POP3 connectivity transaction failures.
     KHI: IMAP4 connectivity transaction failures.
    How is that possible when they need the test mailbox, is it the correlation engine?

QUESTION #4:
    If I decide to defy KB2022687 and run "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" the monitors in #3 above will go critical (since these protocols are disabled).
    How do I override them without interfering with correlation?

Any help appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Peter Nilsson

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hello again!

This is what I found out myself:

#1. Running "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" in a DAG-setup is basically the same as in a single DB setup.

#2. This article did not apply to us and I choose to ignore the "Microsoft does not recommend..."-part.

#3. Disabling monitors could be performed just as usual, correlation only concern what alerts to generate.

#4. See #3.

Sincerely
    Peter

• Marked as answer by LTHPETER Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Peter,

I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Client Access Test Configurations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff360373(EXCHG.140).aspx

Appendix: Alert Correlation Relationships

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758048(EXCHG.140).aspx

In addition, for the configurations, please also refer to the Exchange 2010 Management Pack Guide:

Exchange 2010 Management Pack Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758046(EXCHG.140).aspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hello!

Thank you, but frankly I would be happy if someone could provide some more hands-on information if possible. I think my questions are pretty concrete.

For example, the MP Guide does not mention "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" at all and I´ve found no information when it comes to multiple databases/servers elsewhere either.

/Peter

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hello again!

This is what I found out myself:

#1. Running "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" in a DAG-setup is basically the same as in a single DB setup.

#2. This article did not apply to us and I choose to ignore the "Microsoft does not recommend..."-part.

#3. Disabling monitors could be performed just as usual, correlation only concern what alerts to generate.

#4. See #3.

Sincerely
    Peter

• Marked as answer by LTHPETER Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Hi All,

We have implemented the Exchange 2010 MP in our test lab only to come across a weird problem with the new-TestCASConnectivityUser.ps1 script too. Whenever we try to run it we get the following error message:

"CreateTestUSer : Mailbox could not be created.  Verify that OU  < Users > exists and that password meets compulsory requirements."

The above line is then followed by the reference to what I presume is line 267 char:31 within the new-TestCASConnectivityUser.ps1 script and then the following output appears:

+ $result = CreateTestUser <<<< $exchangeServer $mailboxServer $securePassword  $OrganizationalUnit $UMDialPlan $UMExtension $Prompt
    + CategoryInfo             : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId   : Microsoft.Powershell.Commands.WriteErrorException,CreateTestUser

Has anyone else come across this error or know what it stems from?

So far I have only come across the following KB Article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2277649) which looks like it might be relevant as we do see the "misleading" information about the password being changed "regularly and automatically by the system" when we run the newTestCasConnectivityUser.ps1 script but as we have not yet had a chance to deploy the hotfix I cannot confirm if it is a real solution or not.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Monday, May 2, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hi All,

We deployed the hotfix I referred to in  my last post but we are still seeing the same error message so at this point we will be looking at raisning a support case with Microsoft to get to the bottom of the weird error message we see when trying to run the New_TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1 PowerShell script.

Regards,

Michael

Friday, May 6, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi All,

A Windows Admin colleague took a stab at examining the new-TestCasConnectivity.ps1 script and after modifying the line of code in the PowerShell script that reads:

$OrganizationalUnit = "Users"

to be in fully-qualified LDAP format similar to the following:

$OrganizationalUnit = "CN=Users,DC=yourdomain,DC=subdomain,DC=subdomain"

The script was able to run and a test user was created on a mailbox server.

The only caveat is that immediately following the completion of the script a warning appeared indicating that the "no settings" of the new test user "have been modified" followed by another warning indicating the "test user isn't accessible, so this cmdlet won't be able to test Client Access server connectivity."

Not sure if this is what is normally meant to be seen after the script runs as I am not an Exchange Admin so if anyone else has any insight into these warnings and whether they simply indicate that more configuration needs to be done separately by running another Exchange PowerShell cmdlet I would be grateful for the clarification.

Regards,

Michael

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:15 PM