Alphanumeric passwords in Windows 10 Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've been facing a conundrum with my Windows 10 Mobile phone(Lumia 950). It will only let me use a PIN or Windows Hello. I would like to have an alphanumeric password because with a 0-9 range for each character it's not exactly secure, especially considering there isn't a built-in feature to wipe the phone after a certain number of attempts. The problem is that doesn't appear to be an option.

The main question is does Windows 10 Mobile have an API of sorts for controlling/modifying the sign-in functions thus controlling access to the phone? I'd like to build a custom app to do this but I'm not finding any option at all in the way of interacting with that module. If that's not possible I will need to come up with a really unnecessary solution. I realize Microsoft has given up on phones but this would be a very reasonable feature even for other mobile devices.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:29 PM

All replies

• I believe I have found what I need to make this happen. If anyone knows of a built-in feature somewhere that I simply can't find please let me know, but https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.applicationmodel.lockscreen.aspx should let me go the custom app route.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:45 PM