none
Converting / Lookup Reference attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am battling with the following and could not find a clear answer.  My problem is the following:

We have a SQL database that was developed by a vendor to manage external contractors. This database functions similarly to a HR system for FTEs.  Amongst other attributes, one that is compulsory for a contractor is the "Manager" of such a person.  This is where the problem comes in.  The manager can be a FTE not existing in the external contractor database.

These contractors are synched via FIM 2010 R2 to Active Directory and a bunch of other directories.

Because manager is a referenced attribute, it is not populated in  the Metaverse due to the manager not present in the connectors space of the external contractors database, but exists in the Metaverse.

The manager is captured in the external contractor database, but as a string value.  My question is the following:

Is it possible to convert this string to a Reference DN upon inbound synchronization to the Metaverse? How?  There doesn't seem to be a custom expression command in the FIM portal to do this, unless I am missing something :-)

I would really appreciate any help or guidance to resolve this

Thank

Johan Marais

JkM6228

Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think best solution is to combine both DBs into one table/view by for example transport data with SQL.

Other option could be to read both DBs with an PowerShell MA which querys both tables and creating a combined output.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Johan Marais Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:12 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think best solution is to combine both DBs into one table/view by for example transport data with SQL.

Other option could be to read both DBs with an PowerShell MA which querys both tables and creating a combined output.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Johan Marais Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:12 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Peter,

Thanks for your reply.  Your approach will also work, but that method will not work for me,  reason been that it will complicate the mechanism to determine which entries are new and which are existing.

What I have done to resolve this is to delay the resolving of the reference attribute.  We have a reporting interface which is basically a SQL table containing all active users including the external contractors.  The manager of a contractor is handled as text until the record is written to this table.

I have a trigger on Insert and Update in this table to populate the manager as reference attribute.  Then running an import and sync from this table results in the manger been resolved properly.  The fact that it a few update cycles slower is not a problem in my environment.

Thanks again for putting me on this path.

Regards

Johan Marais

JkM6228

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:23 PM