Error Code C1900215 when applying "Windows 7 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10, version 1709, en-us" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, I wonder if you could help me out.  I'm trying to get the steps in place to begin testing the deployment of Windows 10 to our Windows 7 workstations.  

I've approved the "Windows 7 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10, version 1709, en-us" upgrade to our test ring (which at this point just consists of two machines) but when they attempt to install it, they get the error code of "Code C1900215:  Windows Update encountered an unknown error" on both machines.  

Our WSUS server is Server 2016 R2 running WSUS update services 10.0.14393.0

The target machines are both vanilla HP Pro 6300 systems running Windows 7 Enterprise.  

When I check for updates on both machines, the Windows 10 upgrade comes up.  It checks the requirements, downloads, and it's early on in the 'preparing to install' section, maybe just a couple of minutes in, where it fails out with the above C1900215 error.  

I've searched high and low for this error and am not coming up with anything meaningful.  

Things I've checked:  

1) I made sure each target machine has over 50GB free hard disk space, just to be sure there is plenty of space.  
    2) I've updated all the drivers on the system to the latest available from HP
    3) I've disabled our Antivirus.  

I'm now somewhat at a loss.  The error code is cryptic to me because I can't search for it.  I found some generic tips for error 1900 codes but thusfar nothing has changed--still the same C1900215 error every time.  

It's entirely possible that I'm overlooking something really stupid here so I'm hoping I can just be embarrassed, but learn from it and move on.  I welcome any and all feedback you might have for me.  I'll keep a close watch on this thread to be sure to give you quick answer to any follow-up questions you might have, or try any suggested courses of action, etc.  

Thanks!

Matt

• Edited by Matt NWC Monday, November 20, 2017 10:49 PM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 10:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As a workaround , I'd suggest you first upgrade to win10 1703 then , install 1709 upgrade .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Good morning, Elton, I'm replacing what I wrote here previously because I did work through a couple of weird oddities but got 1703 to show up on my test deployment ring PCs and it's currently making further progress than the 1709 one got.  I'll update here if it completes or fails.  

• Edited by Matt NWC Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Well, the 1703 update succeeded, but I'm still at a loss as to why the 1709 upgrade doesn't work.  Is there any insider information on what that C1900215 code means?  I don't want to have to upgrade everyone to 1703 and then again to 1709.  
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Well, the 1703 update succeeded, but I'm still at a loss as to why the 1709 upgrade doesn't work.  Is there any insider information on what that C1900215 code means?  I don't want to have to upgrade everyone to 1703 and then again to 1709.  

Hi,

I'v just seen this behavior .

At present , the workaround above is what I can find  .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:30 AM
  • we are also experiencing this issue right now, and also dont fancy to upgrade everyone first to 1703 and then 1709, which will be a big pile of extra work.

someone already did some more research here? and maybe even found the problem/solution.

Kind Regards,

Ferry

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Hi Ferry, just wanted to let you know I'm still stymied.  What's frustrating is that 99% of the time I can google the error code and get at least pointed in the right direction.  This one there's practically nothing.  I'm still following this thread in hopes that someone who knows what's going on can reply.  
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:17 AM
  • hi Matt,

i figured my problem out, it was related to drivers that where not compatible with the upgrade ( intel ).

so removed those drivers, and used the default windows ones, after that i was able to upgrade.

unfortunatly this is also not a really good production scenario.

Ferry

Friday, December 1, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Interesting, thanks for the update Ferry.  I wish the error code would have been google-able so I could find some info on it.  These are pretty run-of-the-mill HP/Compaq 6300 microtower PCs I've been testing on.  Will play with it on some other models and see if it affects our newer fleet.  The older ones might be able to just be retired by the time Windows 7 ends security updates.  
    Monday, December 4, 2017 9:19 PM
  • I got the same error
    removing intel drivers did not help
    But, I was able to upgrade to 1703
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:57 PM