none
MMC Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Just added a new server (2012 R2) to the backups and now I can't modify it at all. When I select the protection group, which contains only this new server, the MMC crashes every time I go to expand the selection. Event ID for it is nonexistent.

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:

<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>2/8/2017 5:30:24 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.FileSystem.FsDataSource.ToString(String format, IFormatProvider formatProvider)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Dpw.ProtectionTreeNodeFactory.AddTreeNode(SelectionPage selectionPage, TreeNode parent, ProtectionGroup group, ProtectableObject protectableObject, Datasource datasource, Boolean includeMountPoints)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Dpw.SelectionPage.AddFileSystemDataSources(TreeNode parentNode, IList`1 fileSystemObject, Dictionary`2 sourceList)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Dpw.SelectionPage.GenerateApplicationTypes(TreeNode parentNode, ProductionServer productionServer, ICollection`1 poList)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Dpw.SelectionPage.ps_DatasourceDetectionEvent(Object sender, ProtectableObjectDetectedEventArgs e)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProductionServer.IssueDatasourceDetectionComplete(Object param)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:34 PM

All replies

• Install the lastest Rollup for DPM 2012R2 and if you use a remote admin console be shure to update that as well. MMC crashes where quite common with certain URs.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:26 AM
  • Thank you. I'll try that. I sort of assumed that the "check for updates" button on the central admin would do that, but it just takes me to a page that has a circular loop of information about upgrading and installing, with no reference to current updates or a method for downloading them. 

I'll google and figure out updating to the newest Rollup and mark this as answered if it cures the issue. 

Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Shoot. So we are already on Update Rollup 11, which appears to be the latest. I reinstalled, just to be sure, but it still crashes the MMC when trying to modify a protection group. 
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Do you have another DPM server to try? We have a few different ones here with various DPM versions and that sometimes helps when diagnosing problems with DPM.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Good call. I do. And it works on 2012 SP1 version 4.1.3465.0. The sad part is that the server that it works on is actually nearly out of space, which is why I need to move it to the other server. I can probably rearrange some other backups on other hosts, but it really is telling that the stability of 2012 R2 version 4.2.1553.0 is non functional on the target host. 
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:08 PM
  • UR11 is not the latest RU, UR12 is.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:40 PM
  • I had to use the script here(first one):

To delete the protection groups via Powershell IDE to get the section to load, and then recreate the Protection Groups manually.

Got me in and working again.

-Ken

-Ken

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:41 PM