Outlook 2010 doesn't display images RRS feed

• Question

• Had some users send an email with embedded pictures from their phones (Samsung Galaxys using the default mail app).  In OWA the pictures display fine, embedded in the email.  In Outlook 2010, there are no pictures in the email?  Is this a version problem, do I need to upgrade office, or is there an easier solution?

Ryan Wilderman

Monday, May 4, 2020 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

>> I removed every add-in except the Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing
    To confirm if the issue is related to this add-in, please uncheck this add-in to disable it like below and see if there is any difference.

In addition, as I know outlook safe mode also disables other functions besides add-ins. Please try the following suggestions to see if it works.

1. Custom navigation pane settings in different versions of Outlook may cause issues like this. Please try running the /resetnavpane command to remove all customizations to the navigation pane (Press Win + R, type “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane”, press Enter) and see if there is any difference.
    2. If the issue still continues, settings stored in the registry of the Outlook may be corrupted. Please try:
      Exit Outlook and open the Registry Editor
      Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
      Right-click the Outlook folder
      Rename it as Outlook1

Restart your Outlook to test

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

>>In Outlook 2010, there are no pictures in the email
    Can pictures in other emails of your mailbox be displayed normally?
    How does the picture look like in the message? Does it show as a red X or some other situations?

To better solve your issue, please provide me with screenshot of your issue for further research. You could add your screenshots to your reply or upload the picture to OneDrive and copy the picture link to reply. (Notice: Please hide your personal information in the screenshot for security.)

>> In OWA the pictures display fine, embedded in the email.
    According to your discription, it seems that your issue may be related to your Outlook client.

If it shows as a red X, please check this article and see if the issue has any difference.

If it shows as other situations, please try the suggestions below to troubleshot your issue:

1. As I know, the option "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items" may cause issues like this, please uncheck this option via File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Automatic Download and see it there is any difference. For more information, please check this article.
    2. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue still exists.
    3. Corrupted profile may also cause this issue, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if it works.

If all these mentioned above is not your case, please provide me with more information related to your issue for further research.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:11 AM
  • Yes, some other pictures and attachments appear fine.  There is no red x or broken link, nothing at all shows in the email.  If you look at the header information, I see a X-MS-Has-Attach: yes (which I assume means it has something attached), but nothing is there in the email. 
    I will try the options you mention above tomorrow when I can connect to the user's PC again.

Thank you.

Ryan Wilderman

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:52 AM
  • So interestingly enough, when I launch Outlook in safe mode, it does display the images.  Under COM Add-Ins, I removed every add-in except the Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing (which apparently is part of Office Professional and it won't let me remove it).  But even with the rest of the Add-Ins removed, it still does not display images.. 

Ryan Wilderman

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 7:00 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

>> I removed every add-in except the Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing
    To confirm if the issue is related to this add-in, please uncheck this add-in to disable it like below and see if there is any difference.

In addition, as I know outlook safe mode also disables other functions besides add-ins. Please try the following suggestions to see if it works.

1. Custom navigation pane settings in different versions of Outlook may cause issues like this. Please try running the /resetnavpane command to remove all customizations to the navigation pane (Press Win + R, type “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane”, press Enter) and see if there is any difference.
    2. If the issue still continues, settings stored in the registry of the Outlook may be corrupted. Please try:
      Exit Outlook and open the Registry Editor
      Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
      Right-click the Outlook folder
      Rename it as Outlook1

Restart your Outlook to test

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:05 AM
  • The reg key did the trick.  thanks Jeff!

Ryan Wilderman

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:39 PM