none
DPM 2010 - Server Hardware Refresh RRS feed

• Question

• My existing DPM 2010 server will soon reach the end of it's 3 year corporate lease, and must be refreshed with new hardware. The OS will be the same, but hardware will be all new. Does MS have any documentation on performing a refresh ? All my data/recovery points are stored on a iSCSI SAN so that won't be an issue, but all my local databases, protection groups and etc must be transferred over. Any insight from experienced users would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:22 PM

Answers

• Anyone else ?

Does anyone have experience with a hardware refresh of the DPM 2010 primary server ?

Advise welcome

• Marked as answer by tgoetzman Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:07 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Basically, just follow the steps outlined in this technet article, ignoring the DPM 2007 part because the steps are the same.

Upgrading a DPM Server to Windows Server 2008: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx

Just do steps under these three sections.

1) To back up the DPM database - then copy it to a network location.
    2) To install DPM [on NEW server with SAME NAME in SAME DOMAIN]  
    3) To restore the DPM database using the DpmSync tool  (copy the saved DPMDB from step-1 to c:\dpmdb - then restore) 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:48 PM
  • I forgot to ask, "will this process recover all my existing protection groups and exclusions and etc. too?"

We finally have approval to purchase the new hardware (keeping the exisiting iSCSI SAN) and need to start preparing for the server refresh.

Monday, January 3, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, all configuration settings will be maintained and be just as they were before the rebuild.  You will just need to run a consistency check once you run the dpmsync -sync command to bring over any new changes since the last sync using the old hardware.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:19 AM
  • a consistency check on all protected servers and all proteced data ?

that's going to take a lot of time and a lot of network & WAN bandwidth...

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

There is no avoiding the CC, we must get the replica back in synch with the protected servers. 

Take time, yes, but bandwidth no - crc data is minimal compared to having to start over and do another initial replication if you started completly over from scratch.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Anyone else ?

Does anyone have experience with a hardware refresh of the DPM 2010 primary server ?

Advise welcome

• Marked as answer by tgoetzman Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:07 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:18 PM