none
SBS 2011 DPMRA constantly crashing RRS feed

• Question

• DPM Server is running on Server 2008 R2.  Fully updated as of november 15.

DPM Client on Server 2003x64 - runs consistently; never has failed.

DPM Client on Server 2008R2x64 - runs consistently; never has failed.

DPM Client on SBS 2011.  Has failed every couple of weeks or so since I installed it 6 months ago.

Every time it fails, it shuts down.  When I restart the service, it starts and stays started for 8 minutes, then stops again.  This continues until I reboot the client server.  When I reboot the client server, the DPMRA client connects and makes backups for a week or two then does the same thing again.  This behavior has been consistent no matter what updates or hotfixes/rollup are installed on the DPM server or client.  Rebooting my exchange server every week or so is not very convenient.

Keep in mind that the other two client continue using the DPM server during this with no problems.

Also, the SBS machine has no other failures or service interruptions in VPN, Exchange, or AD.

Exit code:

SERVICE_NAME: DPMRA
            TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
            STATE              : 1  STOPPED
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1067  (0x42b)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
            PID                : 0
            FLAGS              :

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is perfectly normal for the DPMRA to stop when there are no active jobs.  Most likely this is caused by a bug in exchange and you can check if this is the case. When DPM agent get unreachable, check if you have a E14CmdletsWrapper.exe running on the SBS server. Open task manager and look for a process called E14CmdletsWrapper.exe and if you find it, kill it then restart the DPMRA service and the next backup should work.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is perfectly normal for the DPMRA to stop when there are no active jobs.  Most likely this is caused by a bug in exchange and you can check if this is the case. When DPM agent get unreachable, check if you have a E14CmdletsWrapper.exe running on the SBS server. Open task manager and look for a process called E14CmdletsWrapper.exe and if you find it, kill it then restart the DPMRA service and the next backup should work.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:55 AM
  • I guess I wasent clear enough, I wasent concerened that the service stopped, lbut that the server couldn't contact the client and the backups were no longer happening.

HOWEVER.. you answer was the clear solution.  I havent read about this "E14CmdletsWrapper.exe" anywhere I have looked for the answer.  Thank you very much.  In the future, I will have an event trigger that will restart the "E14CmdletsWrapper.exe" if/when the DPMRA has an abnormal shutdown.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:41 PM
  • OK - Roger that.

FYI - there is an exchange fix available fo this issue now.

2664761 DPM protection agent service may stop responding on Exchange Server 2010 servers that are protected by System Center DPM 2010
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664761/EN-US

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
    2661854 Description of Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:25 PM