""This page has encountered a critical error" on Home Page of MOSS 2007 site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created a new web application, a site collection inside that using the Team Site template, and a few subsides under that. The next day after creating the site collection, when I trid to access the home page of the site, I saw an unexpected error

"This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists"

After searching the web for the solution for a while, I applied a quick resolution to the error that was to open the web.config file for the web application, place the cursor anywhere in the file, and then save it without modifying anything. This resolved the error at that moment and it worked fine for the rest of the day, But I got the same error again in the next morning, when i tried to access the site. I applied the same solution and it worked again. Since then, a week have passed and I keep on getting this error every morning and sometimes it appears 2-3 times in a day, though it get resolved by just saving the web.config file, I feel that is just a workaround to resolve the error temporarily.

I am confused, that what makes it to work by just saving the web.config file without doing any modification and I am looking for a reason for this behaviour. can someone please let me know if you have encountered this behaviour and provide the permanent resolution for that.

Thanks in advance

Punkaj

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:34 AM Error message added to Title
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:34 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hello Punkaj,

I haven't encountered this problem myself,but wouldn't applying your workaround and then saving the web.config as read-only prevent the problem from happening again?

I'm not an expert on this so I don't fully know if this would cause other problems.

Kind Regards,

NiJor

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Hi Punkaj,

Maybe you can do the following things to see if this could help you to solve this issue completely:

1.       Do an IIS reset.

2.       Check all the webpart’s safe control entries

3.       Replace the web.config file with the backed up web.config file.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Hi Nijor & Peng,

Thanks for your suggestions, I already tried the IIS, reset in past as well, and that also resolve the error temporarily, but the error appears again.

For the web part's safe control entries, I compared it with another web.config for a running web application and found both identical, so could not identify if there are any incorrect safe control entries are there, as I have not added any, and these are there by default.

However, on investigating further, I found a different behaviour - I found that the web.config is not the culprit, as the error also get resolved when I simply do an IIS reset, to make it specific, I tried to stop the application pool for the web application and started it again, that also resolved the error.

I also tried to create new web application and monitor it, but when I create a new web application, it gives the error straightaway after creating the site collection and trying to access the web application for the first time.

For now, I am trying to find if something is wrong with the application pool, and if there are any custom solution deployed globally causing the web application to fail.

Meanwhile, if someone has any suggestions, please post.

Regards

Punkaj

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:41 AM