none
Configure secondary DNS automatically pause DNS response when update failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two server with one as a master DNS server  and another one as secondary DNS server.

I want to sync the record from master DNS server to secondary DNS server every 30 minutes.

The question is how can I automatically pause the DNS response when secondary DNS failed trying update record from primary DNS Server for two hours until secondary DNS Server sucessfully update.

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:55 AM

Answers

• In the properties of your zone, go to Start of Authority (SOA) tab and adjust expires after value to the one you want.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:25 PM
  • Hi KudoYuando,

As Mr X has pointed out, expire time could help meet your requirement. If the expire time is prior to a successful zone transfer, the secondary server will expire its zone file. In another word, the secondary DNS server will stop answering queries.

If you want to learn detailed information about DNS SOA record, you may click the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/163971

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KudoYuando Monday, February 15, 2016 9:48 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:35 AM

All replies

• In the properties of your zone, go to Start of Authority (SOA) tab and adjust expires after value to the one you want.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:25 PM
  • Hi KudoYuando,

As Mr X has pointed out, expire time could help meet your requirement. If the expire time is prior to a successful zone transfer, the secondary server will expire its zone file. In another word, the secondary DNS server will stop answering queries.

If you want to learn detailed information about DNS SOA record, you may click the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/163971

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KudoYuando Monday, February 15, 2016 9:48 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:35 AM