Return Only the SamAccountName RRS feed

• Question

• I am a PowerShell novice trying to create a script that will query AD and return a list of computer names.  I found a bit of code online and modified it to my purposes.  The first line currently serves no useful purpose.  The original script that I found had something similar, and I might put in an IF statement later, so I kept that line as reminder.

Also, in our environment printers are setup as computer objects in AD.  That was done years ago, well before I was hired.  Not what I would have done, but it's the situation nonetheless and so needs to be dealt with.  I noticed that the SamAccountName for a computer object that is really a computer always ends with "$", whereas the the SamAccountName for a computer object that is really a printer always contains a MAC address.  So the filter -like "*$" effectively filters out the printers, leaving only true computers in the array.

I just figured out basic arrays tonight, and based on what I have read, the way I am doing it might come with a pretty big performance hit, but I am dealing with less than 1,000 machines and so far the performance is acceptable (Only a few seconds to generate the list).  For now, I just want to get it working at a basic level, and I will worry about optimization later.

Here is what I have so far:

$ObjectType = Read-Host 'Enter a Value: 1 - Computers, 2 - Printers, 3 - Both'
       try{
       $ou = "OU=Workstations,OU=$City,DC=Fabrikam,DC=com"
       $Computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter 'SamAccountName -like "*$"' -SearchBase $ou
       }
       catch {
       $error[0].exception.message
       }

The problem is that this returns all of the following:

• DistinguishedName
    • DNSHostName
    • Enabled
    • Name
    • ObjectClass
    • ObjectGUID
    • SamAccountName
    • SID
    • UserPrincipalName

What I want is ONLY the SamAccountName.  How can I modify this script to give me only the SamAccountName?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:07 AM

Answers

• You need to use Select to get specific attribute.

$Computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter 'SamAccountName -like "*$"' -SearchBase $ou | Select SamAccountName

• Proposed as answer by Kathy Cooper Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by thomasm516 Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:21 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:37 AM

All replies

• You need to use Select to get specific attribute.

$Computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter 'SamAccountName -like "*$"' -SearchBase $ou | Select SamAccountName

• Proposed as answer by Kathy Cooper Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by thomasm516 Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:21 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Thank you!

I was so close.  I actually was trying to use Select, but being a PowerShell novice, I had not used the pipe.  DOH!

--Tom

Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:21 PM