none
Deploying Windows 10 using MDT 2013 (Not update 1) and ADK 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to deploy Windows 10 in our environment and run the above versions of MDT and ADK. Will I be able to do so or do I need to update to 'Update 1' and 'ADK 10' first?

We rely on our current MDT server for imaging Win7 and 8 machines so don't want to do anything to stop this working by upgrading if I don't need to.

Cheers

EvoSi

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi EvoSi,

You need to upgrade - 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/17/mdt-2013-update-1-now-available.aspx

We upgraded a few weeks back and everything with our Win7 and 8.1 builds seems to be OK still.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by EvoSi Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:14 PM
  • Do the full download of the ADK first. :)

Other than that it was just a case of right click and upgrade on the deployment shares, and then I regenerated our boot wims.

On a side note the person who originally set up our build put some of our custom stuff into scriptroot rather than $OEM$, and the upgrade process got rid of all of this, but it did put it in the backup folder so i could just move it back out.

I also had to copy back in our updated version of the windowsupdate script.

• Edited by warden976 Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi EvoSi,

You need to upgrade - 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/17/mdt-2013-update-1-now-available.aspx

We upgraded a few weeks back and everything with our Win7 and 8.1 builds seems to be OK still.

Cheers

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:14 PM
  • I can tell you as someone that had the Windows 10 Previews working in SCCM (using ADK 8.1) that at a minimum you'll need to change your Boot Images to W10 OR copy the W10 DISM.exe and DISK support files (DISM Folder) over to WinPE in a Task Sequence or the Driver Import Tasks will fail. I suspect you are better off upgrading per the reply below but it can be done, the question is do you want known failures due to the back-level tools that you'll have to work around?

Jack

• Edited by JFetter Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Hi EvoSi,

You need to upgrade - 

Cheers

That's good to hear.

Did you have to do any prep work before or after the upgrade?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:21 PM
  • I can tell you as someone that had the Windows 10 Previews working in SCCM (using ADK 8.1) that at a minimum you'll need to change your Boot Images to W10 OR copy the W10 DISM.exe and DISK support files (DISM Folder) over to WinPE in a Task Sequence or the Driver Import Tasks will fail. I suspect you are better off upgrading per the reply below but it can be done, the question is do you want known failures due to the back-level tools that you'll have to work around?

Jack

I don't want any failures! ;-0
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:22 PM

Other than that it was just a case of right click and upgrade on the deployment shares, and then I regenerated our boot wims.

On a side note the person who originally set up our build put some of our custom stuff into scriptroot rather than $OEM$, and the upgrade process got rid of all of this, but it did put it in the backup folder so i could just move it back out.

• Edited by warden976 Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:44 PM

Ok will give it a go then. Cheers :-)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:35 PM