none
Can we configure Standby Operation Master for Automatic FSMO role transfer

Question

• Hello,

I am a bit confused about configuring Automatic FSMO role transfer. I read somewhere that it can be done by configuring Standby Operation master to some other DC other than the current FSMO holder DC.

The question is, In case of disaster can we automatically transfer the FSMO role to some other DC.

But in most of the articles i am able to see that there could not be multiple operation master in single domain & we can transfer the FSMO roles through ntdsutil.exe or in case current FSMO role holder is crashed we can seize the FSMO role to some other DC.

Please help whether we can configure the standby Operation master for automatic roles transfer.

Regards,

Rohit 

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi

If the fsmo roles holder become unavaible(crashed,etc.),you can seize fsmo roles to other avaible DC.The point is at least there should be 2 DC configured domain with ADDS,DNS,GC role.

Also if you need to transfer fsmo roles again you can transfer it to other DC.On thiese 2 method you can use ntdsutil,check the article for steps;

Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255504/using-ntdsutil.exe-to-transfer-or-seize-fsmo-roles-to-a-domain-controller

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by Ratsr Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:21 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

In my understanding Operation Master means RID, PDC & Infrastructure Roles holder.

>>>Operation Master is not the holder, it just FSMO role.

There are five Operation Masters:Schema Master FSMO Role, Domain Naming Master FSMO Role, RID Master FSMO Role, PDC Emulator FSMO Role and Infrastructure FSMO Role.

Here is an article below about FSMO roles for your reference.

Active Directory FSMO roles in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/197132/active-directory-fsmo-roles-in-windows

And please reply if there is any option to transfer FSMO roles Automatically.

>>>As far as I know, there is no built-in way to transfer FSMO roles automatically. You may need transfer or seize FSMO roles manually.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ratsr Friday, June 29, 2018 10:26 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi

If the fsmo roles holder become unavaible(crashed,etc.),you can seize fsmo roles to other avaible DC.The point is at least there should be 2 DC configured domain with ADDS,DNS,GC role.

Also if you need to transfer fsmo roles again you can transfer it to other DC.On thiese 2 method you can use ntdsutil,check the article for steps;

Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255504/using-ntdsutil.exe-to-transfer-or-seize-fsmo-roles-to-a-domain-controller

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by Ratsr Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:21 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, you should know that in which scenario you need transfer FSMO roles and in which scenario you need seize FSMO roles.

Here is an article below for your reference.

http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/how-to-transfer-or-seize-flexible-single-master-operations-fsmo-roles

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please refer what standby operation master is & how to configure it??

Whether Standby Operation Master is having any role in automatic FSMO roles transfer??

I am middle of something & i am asked to configure the Standby operation master.

If i have to seize the FSMO role manually on server crash, what the term Standby Operation Master Used for?

In my understanding Operation Master means RID, PDC & Infrastructure Roles holder.

Thanks in Advance,

Rohit

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

>>>Operation Master is not the holder, it just FSMO role.

There are five Operation Masters:Schema Master FSMO Role, Domain Naming Master FSMO Role, RID Master FSMO Role, PDC Emulator FSMO Role and Infrastructure FSMO Role.

Here is an article below about FSMO roles for your reference.

Active Directory FSMO roles in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/197132/active-directory-fsmo-roles-in-windows

>>>As far as I know, there is no built-in way to transfer FSMO roles automatically. You may need transfer or seize FSMO roles manually.

Best Regards,

Jay

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ratsr Friday, June 29, 2018 10:26 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:29 AM