Can not sort manually in the explorer of Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Windows 7 RC, I can not sort the folders or files by myself, instead of by default, such as name, tyep,size, date......
    anybody can help???
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:42 AM

Answers

• omg i would appreciate it so much if you can translate the guide to an english version
    See here
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, December 17, 2010 12:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kang Jian Friday, December 17, 2010 1:48 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, to arrange your items, we need to find out the common property of these items first. Then we can right click Sort by to choose the property to arrange items automatically.

In Windows 7, it provides many details to display for items in the folder. You can right click the background of the folder==>click Sort by==>click more, then you will see a lot of details for the items in this folder, check the box you want to sort by. Then this selected detail will display in the sub-selection of 'Sort by' and 'Group by' tags. Based on test on our test machines, you can combine 'Sort by' and 'Group by' functions together to meet your requirement. For example, you can first Group the items by name, then sort the items by type.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kang Jian Friday, December 17, 2010 1:48 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, to arrange your items, we need to find out the common property of these items first. Then we can right click Sort by to choose the property to arrange items automatically.

In Windows 7, it provides many details to display for items in the folder. You can right click the background of the folder==>click Sort by==>click more, then you will see a lot of details for the items in this folder, check the box you want to sort by. Then this selected detail will display in the sub-selection of 'Sort by' and 'Group by' tags. Based on test on our test machines, you can combine 'Sort by' and 'Group by' functions together to meet your requirement. For example, you can first Group the items by name, then sort the items by type.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Hi dear,

Anyway, I really appreciate your patient answers.Maybe it really can help .

But I think it is more convenient by dragging the folders or files manually, do you think so?

Still thank you very much.

I really hope this function will come back in the Win 7 RTM just like it in the previous edition......
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:28 AM
  • But I think it is more convenient by dragging the folders or files manually, do you think so?
    I would also like to be able to manually arrange the contents of some folders.
    It seems there is no way to disable the sorting for a specific folder, so this ability is missing in W7.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kang Jian Friday, December 17, 2010 1:49 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:27 AM
  • This is so irritating, i really don't get it. Why did Microsoft remove such a useful thing? I need this option to be restored asap! PLEASE!
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:13 AM
  • This is worse than just irritating, it sucks, and defies logic.  RESTORE THIS OPTON ASAP
    Monday, March 15, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Manually sorting can be reactivated. I have written a German How to. If interested, I can translate it into English.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Manually sorting can be reactivated. I have written a German How to. If interested, I can translate it into English.
    omg i would appreciate it so much if you can translate the guide to an english version... i have been searching on the net for a solution for a long time with no anwsers at all :(
    Friday, April 2, 2010 8:54 AM
  • omg i would appreciate it so much if you can translate the guide to an english version
    See here
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, December 17, 2010 12:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kang Jian Friday, December 17, 2010 1:48 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Yes, please translate it and post it here.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:27 PM
  • he already posted the link on Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:19 PM.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Oh, I did not note that, thank you Zieler.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:03 AM
  • It is amazing. successful. Thank you Konst.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Thank you Konst.
    ok, unmark the post from the MSFT employee and the MVP and mark his post as answer.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, December 17, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Thank you Konst.
    ok, unmark the post from the MSFT employee and the MVP and mark his post as answer.

Done
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:24 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:24 AM