locked
All images and icons stop displaying and all links which don't have .aspx no longer work RRS feed

  • Question

  • One of my site collections suddenly had all links broken at the same time.

    Everything fails except URLs which end in .aspx     So http://node/a/b   will fail  but http://node/a/b/default.aspx   works OK.    All document links fail.   All images are little red crosses.

    It's all on a single WinServ-2008 system.

    All the other site collections work perfectly OK.

    It seems to have failed around installation of todays latest collection of windows update fixes, which were all successful.    But,  I see no connection with this event if the other sites work.

    Even the content within the failing site appears intact but untouchable as the links don't work.

    I tried creating a new doc library.   This works OK but the link it puts on the quick-launch fails for the same reason as the others.

    Any ideas what might have gone wrong here?

    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

  • We fixed this problem without being any clearer about why it happened.

    It appears in a few places on the internet and has been solved without explanation.  It wasn't a unique problem.  This guy for example fixed it by replacing default.aspx.    I had already tried that but it didn't work for me.

    http://objectmix.com/sharepoint/295556-404-not-found-but-site-really-there.html 

    It was very confusing when the whole web application was recovered from backup from a few days previously when everything was working and it had no effect!

    It was eventually fixed by going to Central Admin and reconfirming all the settings for database, web application general settings, user permissions for web application, authentication provider and generally everything that had a setting for this site collection.  When all had been rewritten, the problem went away and all links started working again.

    Cured.   But, I unfortunately don't know why it was happening.

    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:39 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

  • Have you checked the SharePoint logs and windows event logs?
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:30 AM
    Moderator
  • We fixed this problem without being any clearer about why it happened.

    It appears in a few places on the internet and has been solved without explanation.  It wasn't a unique problem.  This guy for example fixed it by replacing default.aspx.    I had already tried that but it didn't work for me.

    http://objectmix.com/sharepoint/295556-404-not-found-but-site-really-there.html 

    It was very confusing when the whole web application was recovered from backup from a few days previously when everything was working and it had no effect!

    It was eventually fixed by going to Central Admin and reconfirming all the settings for database, web application general settings, user permissions for web application, authentication provider and generally everything that had a setting for this site collection.  When all had been rewritten, the problem went away and all links started working again.

    Cured.   But, I unfortunately don't know why it was happening.

    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:39 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:22 AM