Receive-Job Returns RunSpaceID RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon all, 

Created a basic script which will start a job to find the size of a directory. In the start-job script Block, I am creating an object like below:

$Results = @{}

$Results.FilePath = "Filepath"
    $Results.FizeSize = "FileSize"

New-object -typeName PSObject -property $Results

The functionality is fine, however when I do get-job | Receive-JOB, I get a RunSpaceID as an additional Parameter. If however I do the following:

,@(New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $Results)

Then I get only the objects I require (this has to have a comma as well). My question is what does ,@() do? 

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:26 PM

Answers

• Same as this:

$null,@()

It creates an array with two elements - one is empty and one is an empty array.  Also a short way to do this.

@(,@())

It is almost never needed if things are coded correctly but was used to avoid a bug in earlier versions of PS.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Satbir Bussan Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:07 AM

All replies

• @() creates an array.

Try it like this:

start-job {
    		[pscustomobject]@{
    			Name = 'joe'
    			Age = 12 
    		} 
    	} |
    	Receive-Job -wait -AutoRemoveJob | 
    	Select-Object * -ExcludeProperty RunspaceId, PSSourceJobInstanceId

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:22 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 6:28 PM
  • Good Morning jrv, many thanks for that code, always good to learn different ways to complete tasks. I understand that @() creates an array however the results are very different compared to when I use @() and ,@(). Just curious to understand what the comma in front of the array declaration does. 

As a side note, I have done something similar to yourself, where I have selected the parameters when working with the output (rather than excluding properties). Appreciate your assistance.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Same as this:

$null,@()

It creates an array with two elements - one is empty and one is an empty array.  Also a short way to do this.

@(,@())

It is almost never needed if things are coded correctly but was used to avoid a bug in earlier versions of PS.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Satbir Bussan Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:07 AM