none
PowerShell Hashtables RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

i really need some help. I am pretty new to powershell.  Trying to solve a very manual task. for adding new hires  to adgroups. 

because our new hires dept and title depend on what active directory group he/she will be added to. i decide to create two hash table with key values dept = title 

groups =  name of the groups. 

i am also importing the all new hires from a csv file. anyway came some be kind of enough to check out my script and tell me what i am doing wrong. i keep getting errors every time i try to run the script.

$Title = @()
    if ($dept -like "Name,") { $Title -like "Name" }
    if ($dept -like "Name") { $Title -like "name" }
    $group = @()
    if ($Title -like "name") { $groups += "groupname","groupname","groupname","groupname","groupname"}
    if ($Title -like "name") { $groups += ""groupname","groupname","groupname","groupname","groupname"}
     $names = import-csv c:\filename.csv

ForEach ($name in $names) {
     $SamAccountName = $_."SamAccountName"
      Add-ADGroupMember $groups $name;

Thank you all for reading my post!

PS

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:27 PM

All replies

• There are no hash tables in your example.  When posting you need to post the exact error.

How to ask questions in a technical forum

Microsoft Virtual   Academy - Getting Started with Microsoft PowerShell

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

I have my hashtables in the example i posted.  

sorry for not posting the error. 

Add-ADGroupMember : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Identity'. The argument is null. Provide a valid value for the argument, and then try running the 
    command again.
    At line:11 char:23
    +     Add-ADGroupMember $groups $name;
    +                       ~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-ADGroupMember], ParameterBindingValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.AddADGroupMember

PS

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:54 PM
  • There are no hash tables in your example.  What is it that you are calling a hash table?

The error is telling you that you are not using the command correctly.

Please read the help for the command:

help Add-AdGroupMember -online

Learning basic PowerShell will help you to write a script.  Guessing will not help you.

Microsoft Virtual   Academy - Getting Started with Microsoft PowerShell

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:57 PM