Can I just add new KMS Key for Win 10 LTSC to KMS without bumping older Win 10 out? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to add the new KMS Key to my KMS server for Windows 10 LTSC version.  Will adding this new KMS key just be added or will it interfere with the existing Windows 10 keys?

I want to make sure I am just adding and that there are no other unintended "events."

Thank you!

ATP Driver!

Friday, January 18, 2019 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

KMS host keys are hierarchal so the latest key should also active any older releases.

Now is the KMS host a Windows Server machine? In that case you need to add the Windows Server 2018 KMS host key. Windows Server KMS host machines will only accept Windows Server KMS host keys,  the Windows Server 2019 Key will activate Windows 10 KMS client including the 1809 release which includes the latest LTSC release

If your KMS host is a Windows 10 machine they yes you can enter the Windows 10 1809 LTSC KMS host key in it. 

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:33 AM
  • Hi ATP Driver,

>I am just adding and that there are no other unintended "events."

Yes, just install the Windows Server 2019 KMS host key on your KMS server.

KMS host key is downward compatible, Server 2019 KMS host key can activate Windows Server 2016, Windows 10 1809 and Windows LTSC 2019 at the same time.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Thank you for the reply!

The KMS host is a Windows Server 2012 R2 server.  We are currently using a Windows 10 Education KMS key.  The VAR has issued me a KMS Key for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. 

Will I be able to just add the Windows 10 LTSC key without the other server keys for 2019 then?

ATP Driver

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Thank you for responding!

I have been given a KMS key for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.  Will this be enough or will I also need the Windows Server 2019 key?

I am preparing myself and doing the due-diligence here thus the questions.  Thank you again!

ATP Driver

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:08 PM
  • >>I have been given a KMS key for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.  Will this be enough or will I also need the Windows Server 2019 key?

No, since your KMS host is a Windows Server 2012 R2 server, you need to obtain the WS2019 KMS host key (called Windows Srv 2019 DataCtr/Std KMS)      for your LTSC 2019 clients activation.

Refer to the following blog, note the part of Windows Server 2012 R2

KMS Activation in Windows Server 2019

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2018/10/08/kms-activation-in-windows-server-2019/

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:43 AM